How Old Is This Thing - MARXEL HEAT AIR - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 694

How old is this thing - MARXEL HEAT AIR

In one of the bathrooms is this very old heater.

It still works, it's on a 120V 20A circuit. When I flipped it on I can feel heat coming out with a bunch of clicking sounds.

Reading the labels closely I can see:

MARXEL ELECTRIC HEAT AIR
CAT. NO. 241-NA
VOLTS 120
WATTS 1000
CYCLES <- this one is unreadable
MARXEL ELECTRIC PRODUCTS INC.

I looked this up this company is no longer around.

The previous owner had put in new tiles but didn't remove it but tiled around it. I don't know how old this thing is and whether it may explode one day. May be I should disconnect it at the panel? I don't think we need a bathroom heater in Miami anyways not even during the winter.

Advertisement

miamicuse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:55 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Most likely as old as the house. You can contact Markel about it. http://www.markel-products.com/

BTW. Why did you post to two different forums on this? You are going to get better answers on here, then the other forum. Terrylove.com forums have some old timers on there. Markel has been around for ages. You can find their heaters on eBay from all kind of decades.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:42 PM   #3

MarKel or MarXel?

I thought it was an X but may be wrong. The label is so old not too legible. I will check out markel. Thanks.

I wonder if I should remove it but I don't want to create a messy hole with nothing to put back there, of should I leave it as a museum piece.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,276

I'd just leave it ---better to have a retro heater than a funky tile patch---
Old 06-14-2014, 04:58 PM   #5

I turned it on to test it.

It does heat. But it smells, like it hasn't been on for decades. The coil looking thing behind the cage, is that the heating element?
Old 06-14-2014, 06:13 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Yes it is. Keep in mind that wiring insulation is dried out. It can end up causing a fire. They do sell rebuilt units. You may be able to find a newer unit, that fits that size of opening. Contact Markel and they should be able to give you something close to that size of older unit.

Other wise you may be able to find someplace online, that rebuilds them.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote