How To Fix Ceiling Fan Hum Noise? - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 154

How to fix ceiling fan hum noise?

I installed a 30in fan in our kitchen that replaced a light fixture. I used a product called Safe-t-Brace in between my 24in joists. It says it can support up to 50lbs for 24in joists, but our fan only weights like 11lbs.

I noticed when I go into the attic and hold the Safe-t-brace the sound is reduced. I have already retightened the screws and made sure the blades were balanced. The humming sounds gets louder the slower the fan speed is. Is there any solution for this problem before I lose my sanity?

Advertisement

word2yamutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,092

Is there any kind of dimmer wired to it? The reason I ask, is they are notorious for making the humming even worse. The cheap transformers they use in the motor is usually the culprit. They all hum a little.

Just a suggestion, If it's brand new, return it for another one or different kind. If your good at taking things apart and putting them back together, you can remove the transformers and place rubber gromlets under them, then reinstall them. That should quiet them down a little. You'll never get all the humming to stop. Stay tuned, others will be along shortly with more advice for you. Thanks.

Advertisement

Last edited by jmon; 01-10-2014 at 05:57 PM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Is there any kind of dimmer wired to it? The reason I ask, is they are notorious for making the humming even worse. The cheap transformers they use in the motor is usually the culprit. They all hum a little.

Just a suggestion, If it's brand new, return it for another one or different kind. If your good at taking things apart and putting them back together, you can remove the transformers and place rubber gromlets under them, then reinstall them. That should quiet them down a little. You'll never get all the humming to stop. Stay tuned, others will be along shortly with more advice for you. Thanks.
There isn't a dimmer wired to it, just a single pole switch. I don't think its the transformers making the noise. When I apply pressure with my hands on the saft-t-brace it pretty much goes away.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:33 PM   #4

I think you pretty much located your problem. Now you need to find a solution to reduce the loud humming.

Another suggestion if you think it might help or if it's reasonable to do; Install some rubber gromlets on the mounting screws of the safe t-brace between the joists one at a time so you don't have to remove the brace. They come in all sizes, take one of your screws to a hardware store and find one that will work. This acts in the same way as you pressing on it with your hands. Sounds like it's just picking up and amplifying the hum through the joists/ceiling.

Last edited by jmon; 01-10-2014 at 07:53 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 01-11-2014, 06:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
I think you pretty much located your problem. Now you need to find a solution to reduce the loud humming.

Another suggestion if you think it might help or if it's reasonable to do; Install some rubber gromlets on the mounting screws of the safe t-brace between the joists one at a time so you don't have to remove the brace. They come in all sizes, take one of your screws to a hardware store and find one that will work. This acts in the same way as you pressing on it with your hands. Sounds like it's just picking up and amplifying the hum through the joists/ceiling.

Well the problem is the safe-t-brace isnt attached to the joists by screws. Here is a picture of the product.

http://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-L...ref=pd_cp_hi_0
Old 01-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #6

Thanks for the pic. The safe t brace looks like it thought of the rubber cushioning on both ends as well. It uses a telescopic pole for adjusting the tightness. Nice. Check tightness again. Maybe it's not tight enough or you overtighten it and the joists are making the hum louder. Just a thought.

How about where the box secures to the brace. Is that welded or screwed onto brace? Does it have some type of rubber cushioning there as well?

Advertisement

Last edited by jmon; 01-11-2014 at 09:06 AM.