Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

How do you tell if an oven is too loud?

We recently purchased a new Whirlpool built in oven (RBS275PVB) . My 35 year old oven was very quiet, except when the self-cleaning was in use. This new oven is extremely noisy; it sounds just like the self-cleaning noise on my old oven. The fan runs continuously. Is this normal? I understand the need for a fan because of the electronic touch pad, but can't understand why the loud noise. I had the fan replaced and the repairman said that all new ovens are loud. Is this true? Surely there must be a solution to this loud noisy oven, other then wearing noise cancelling headphones while I am baking.

help would be appreciated.

leeutwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeutwo View Post

I understand the need for a fan because of the electronic touch pad,
That doesn't make any sense to me. The type of controls on an oven aren't related to whether or not you have a fan.

Is the fan part of the "AccuBake Temperature Management System"?

Did you call Whirlpool up on the phone to ask them? Normally fans are part of convection ovens, not conventional ovens. Curiously, the owner's manual doesn't mention the fan. You'd think that if it was supposed to run all the time it would say something.

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:59 PM   #3

Lee,
If it's an electric oven, there is a fan that runs when the oven is on, even if it's not a convection oven. It shouldn't be making a very noticeable noise. I have a GE and it's going right now. I went over to listen to it and it's barely perceptable. I would check with whirlpool and see if they have had anyone else complain with the same model oven you have.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Strange, I have a Whirlpool drop-in oven/range which is maybe two years old. It does have the confection (as I call it) feature and when the fan is running we eat at the breakfast nook table most of the time without noticing it. This unit also has the exhaust fan built-in and it is hardly noticeable as compared to the older unit we had. I believe that if it were I/ME I would go back to the place where it was purchased and do some serious, but polite, complaining. Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Lee,
If it's an electric oven, there is a fan that runs when the oven is on, even if it's not a convection oven.

When did they start doing that? The electric ovens I grew up with had no fans.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:05 AM   #6

I'm not sure Pype,
I redid my kitchen in 2003 and bought all GE profile appliances. I have a single, electric wall oven that has the built in fan that runs when the oven is heating. It doesn't hardly make any noise at all.
Mike Hawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyper View Post
When did they start doing that? The electric ovens I grew up with had no fans.

Last edited by firehawkmph; 01-05-2010 at 09:06 AM. Reason: spelling
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #7

Smile

Thank you all for your help. I have called Whirlpool directly again and they have arranged for a different service company to come out next week to check on my oven.
Hopefully, they can solve the noise problem.

Thanks,
Lee
Old 01-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #8

The verdict is in. The oven is loud... Apparently the previous fan was too small and created problems when the self-cleaning was in use, causing the thermostat to malfunction. So the powers to be decided to put in a larger fan to eliminate this problem. One problem solved, another created. So if you are looking for a new oven, that cooks great, and you can stand the noise or your wish to play loud music to cover up the loud oven noise, then this oven is for you.

Lee
Old 01-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #9

I think I would check into returning the oven if it is that loud.

P.S. I have worked on a lot of older stoves/ranges and cannot remember any fans in them. These were not built-in's though.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #10

We're replacing our 12 year old Kitchenaid slide-in convection range with a new Kitchenaid convection range. So we turned on the new oven tonight and heard this VERY annoying fan noise. The old range was near silent in comparison. The new one may go back to the store.
KinNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinNorth View Post
We're replacing our 12 year old Kitchenaid slide-in convection range with a new Kitchenaid convection range. So we turned on the new oven tonight and heard this VERY annoying fan noise. The old range was near silent in comparison. The new one may go back to the store.
We just installed a new KA convection built in oven....Each time it approached cooking temp it would rattle loudly... I assume it was when the cooling fan started...the fan was not noisy, it came from in back, so i removed racks...same noise, so I pulled it out of cabinet and it was quiet! I decided it was a vibration from the fan that was just amplified by the metal conduit rattling against the thin metal enclosure in the back... so I padded the conduit to keep metal off metal and so far it just sounds like a fan,,,not noisy at all !!! good luck ....

Cobalt87 is offline   Reply With Quote