Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2014, 03:53 PM   #1

Share |

How do I use this old magic chef oven

I bought a house 4 years ago and in the basement it had this old Magic Chef oven. The previous owners used the stove to turn wine into brandy. Lol. I haven't touched itbsince I bought the house. I want to see if the stove is fully operational. I turned the gas shutoff valve on and tried to light the pilot light. Neither of the stove pilots would light. But all 4 burners worked if I lit the burners directly with the lighter.

Obviously gas is flowing to the burners. Is there a special trick to getting these lit?

Also, how to I go about lighting the oven?
Attached Thumbnails
How do I use this old magic chef oven-imag0917.jpg   How do I use this old magic chef oven-imag0916.jpg  

speedster1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #2

Going to have to light the pilot in the oven.
Open the broiler and look in the back, there should be something that looks like this.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=16
The pilots right next to it.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:30 PM   #3

This is what is in the back of the oven. I've hit all of that with a lighter and nothing lights up. Is there something special I have to do with the pilot lights on his stove and oven other than holding a lit match? Buttons I need to push?

When I turn on the stove burner I hear gas. I can light the burner if I hold a flame directly on it. When I turn the oven knob I don't hear anything.
Attached Thumbnails
How do I use this old magic chef oven-imag0918.jpg  
speedster1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #4

May be why it was sitting down there.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:46 PM   #5

Try following the pilot gas line back to the manifold. They used to terminate in a block with an adjustment screw. That screw was used to adjust the size of the pilot flame. If you screwed it all the way in, it would completely shut off the pilot gas flow. With the stove only being used for brandy making, why pay for gas to run the pilots the rest of the time.
chitownken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #6
Mad Scientist

The stove burner pilot jets could be plugged up, or the pilots might need adjusting as chitownken said. On those stoves, if everything is working right, the gas to the stove pilots is always on.

For the oven, most of the time you've got to push in the oven control knob while lighting the oven pilot. Sometimes they're pretty hard to push. Once the pilot is lit, continue holding the knob for a minute, then let it go. If the thermocouple isn't shot, the pilot should stay lit.

McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote