How Do Bucketless AC Units Work? - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

How do bucketless AC units work?

I just ordered this unit: http://www.royalsovereign.com/products/view/35

This one as well as many others say they are "bucketless" or "self evaporating". How exactly does this work? Does the evaporated water go through the exhaust hose I hope? Or just in the air? Since if it just goes in the air, then it would never really dehumidify the room.

Advertisement

Red Squirrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

How do bucketless AC units work?

It likely works like a self-evaporating refrigerator.

Water from the unit is collected in the bottom of the unit in a large flat pan. Either using air blowing over the top to encourage evaporation (with a fan) or using heat (which most fridges use) the water that's collected is routinely evaporated away.

Since your unit will not run 24/7 - and therefor will not fill the pan 24/7 - the water will evaporate through the entire day even when your unit is not running.

With excessive use, though, the pan can become too full - but modern-units of all types (ac/fridge/etc) have monitors that will balance out the unit running with the evaporation so you won't have routine overflows.
Or - it will notify you if the reclamation pan becomes too full, requiring you to empty it.

Advertisement