Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #1

Share |

how to clean payne gas sensor?

I have a Payne gas furnace, how can I clean the heat sensor? last time the furnace repair guy said that he had to clean the sensor. Now, since I have more free time for next couple days.. i wanna give it a try to clean it my self.

May someone suggest me or maybe provide some tips about how to clean the sensor? Also.. where is the sensor located exactly????

dapperdraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I would go online and see if you can find service information and schematics that show where the sensor is located and decide whether it is in a place where you can safely get to it without ripping a bunch of other stuff out of the way.

I would also consider whether the sensor assembly is something that can or should be cleaned or if it would better off to just replace it. You might call to see how much they are.

You will also want to see if there is anything tricky about settings for it and so forth.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
dapperdraker (06-26-2011)
Old 06-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #3

here is a good video to watch, it'll probably give you all that you need: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I86jo...layer_embedded

the flame sensor is just a thermocouple that touches one of the burners and senses the temperature. if it gets corroded, it will stop sensing the heat properly and will likely cause short-cycling like what you see in the video. emery cloth is the same stuff you use to clean copper piping and can be found in the plumber section at lowe's.

i have never cleaned my flame sensors in 5 years and i have never had any issues. but then again, i live in texas and our furnaces down here don't run that much.

Last edited by NitroNate; 06-17-2011 at 04:12 PM.
NitroNate is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NitroNate For This Useful Post:
dapperdraker (06-26-2011)
Old 06-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #4

Thank you guys... you are awesome I've done to clean my own furnace's heat sensor by my self. Thanks to your suggest.. it really helps
dapperdraker is offline   Reply With Quote