Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2007, 10:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Hotpoint Washing Machine issue

Sorry about the length - just want to get all the info on here....

I have a Hotpoint model VBSR2060V1WW washing machine. Last night while running a load, I heard a "crack" or "snap" sound... and then silence. I had not really been paying attention so I was not sure where in the cycle it was. I went in and looked, the tub was full of water, so I manually moved the dial ahead just a little bit, and it began to drain fine. I didn't think anything of it. But after the load was run, the clothes had obviously not been cleaned. I also noticed that the agitator was rotating freely (by hand), which it normally did not do.

Upon further investigation, it appears that the agitator has broken loose. The basket spins, the water fills and drains, and the motor belt is perfectly intact. But when it comes to the agitation cycle, I can hear the motor spinning freely (for a brief period, and then, I assume, some safety switch shuts it off). This happens several times within the agitation cycle - the motor turning on, spinning freely, and then stopping - before the timer moves on to draining the tub.

I started opening up the unit this morning and following the maintenance manual, and everything looks fine to the point where I would get to the "transmission" (I didn't know washing machines had transmissions! ) I am guessing that something is broken in the transmission, a gear or something, which drives the center shaft of the agitator. The maintenance manual indicates that the transmission is one piece and must be replaced as a whole.

So.... my questions are these:

1) Does this sound like I am right, that something busted inside the transmission? If not, any suggestions?

2) If so, would the part cost me close to the price of an entirely new washing machine? In other words, is it worth the hassle to go about trying to get the part (new transmission) or should I just head to the store and buy a new washing machine? My wife has been hinting about wanting a front-loader anyway... although money is a bit tight at the moment.

Thoughts are appreciated!

pjpjpjpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:29 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Just going through some of these odler posts. Curious about htis. With the agitator off, does the shaft turn when in agitate cycle? Did the snap sound like plastic breaking or electrical?

boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

It sounds like the drive bell for the agitator may have broken.

Although you have likely repaired or replaced your washer by now if you ever need parts in the future here is a good place to get your Appliance parts.
girltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

If we presume for a moment that all the belts are fine, etc and it is a trans problem; Bring wife to pick out the color :}:} Front loaders are awesome,efficient, etc. Look around many places will give you a year same as cash deals. Oh Yeah you will have to buy her lunch or dinner
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote