Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #1

Share |

Honda generator

Gday, Ihave a 7KVA Honda generator that will only run on full choke im thinking this may be why the motor start capacitor on my compressor burnt out when i used one to run the other am i getting a fluctuating voltage that could have caused the failure or is it supposed to run on full choke? The compressor hase a 2.2 kw/3hp motor, is the genset big enough? Thanks guys your thoughts would be appreciated, Kevin.
kev/urbenville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:34 PM   #2

Honda generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev/urbenville View Post
that will only run on full choke
The engine is running way too lean?
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:56 AM   #3

Honda generator

Four stroke, right?
May have some blockage somewhere in the carb.
One thing that might work is to remove the filter so you can see the throat of the carb. Spray bursts of carb cleaner in the carb to help remove any blockage. Do this repeatedly until it runs without the choke being on.

This has helped me with my gen's when they have sit for a while and the gas may have left a varnish residue in the carb passages.

May be necessary to remove carb and clean really good and rebuild.

Might want to check all fasteners to make sure the carb itself has not worked loose and is sucking air. Remove the fuel line where it connects to the carb and see if gas is flowing freely to maybe rule out and clogged fuel filters.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:22 AM   #4

Honda generator

I have flushed the fuel lines, removed the carbie and there was a brittle scale on the inside and chips were flaking off, reckon this may be part of the problem, i found it difficult to remove completelly, ill try that carbie cleaner and let you know how i go, thanks for your thoughts.Kev.
kev/urbenville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:23 AM   #5

Honda generator

That carb may need to be disassembled and soaked to get that scale out of the little passages. Sounds as though it may have sit for a while or seldom used. If you reinstall the carb without soaking it in cleaner, squirt the carb throat and start it. It should run start and run momentarily. When it starts to die, squirt it again. Do this several times, and it may take several times if it is scaled that bad. Hopefully, after a few suirts, you can start taking the choke off,

If it sits a lot, like mine do, you may want to get some fuel stabalizer to add to the gas in the tank. Or, run the carb dry of fuel when you put it up.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boman47k For This Useful Post:
kev/urbenville (05-27-2010)