Home Improvement - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

home improvement

i have a side by side whirlpool refrigerator how often should it dump a tray of ice? i need to know if my ice maker is messed up because it takes it 3 days to fill up the ice bin.

Advertisement

Last edited by redneck035; 03-17-2010 at 02:51 PM.
redneck035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

home improvement

It kind of depends on the temperature of your freezer, the amount of ice you are using, how packed your freezer is, and so forth. However, if you are not taking any ice then a full three days seems a tad excessive. Once in a while we throw out all the ice because it is getting nasty, and ours will refill in a day or so.

As I understand the mechanism on most ice machines, there is a temperature sensor that triggers the ice maker to cycle. Until the ice next to the sensor is cold enough, it won't trigger the cycle. Try turning down the temperature and see if that helps. Also, try to keep other things away from the ice maker so that cold air can circulate around the ice. That may help. Or not.

Advertisement

Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 40

home improvement

If this is a true side by side with the ice maker in the freezer, that is definately too long to wait for a full ice bin. Ours is a french door bottom freezer with the ice maker up in the refrigerator and it is slow during summer months due to higher outside temps and the refrigerator door opening. This was a dissappointment for me. I wish somebody at HD would have told me this would be the case. While it is convenient to have an ice and water dispenser in the refrigerator door, the tradeoff is that it will not produce ice as fast as a freezer dwelling ice maker in the summer months when you need ice the most. Since we need the freezer space for food storage, we still have to buy ice for our cooler in the summertime.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote