Help! Window AC Install Issues - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Help! Window AC install issues

I am having issues mounting my window AC unit because as this picture shows the bottom of the window is not even so it won't sit flush with the mounting bracket. What can I do here? It's preventing it for being able to be secured in.
Attached Thumbnails
Help! Window AC install issues-image-1156447512.jpg   Help! Window AC install issues-image-3849257438.jpg  

Advertisement

knotquiteawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

The window comes down, so that the unit does not fall through. In order to keep the window pressed down on the A/C, you will need a length of stick lumber, like quarter round moulding, which I have used with our window a/c units, placed at the top of the frame, with it long enough to be so tight that you have to slightly hammer it in to be straight, but not so long that it can either break the glass, or damage the frame.

I would just measure from the inside frame to the top of the window, and then just press slightly down on the window with the a/c unit in (yes, have someone holding it, or it will fall out possibly), and take a second measurement to see if there may be a difference of up to 1/4 inch at most. They also make legs that you screw to the bottom of the units, so that you still get a slight tilt, but the unit will not overly tilt so much, that you fear that it could fall out. There are other methods of securing, such as attaching 'L' brackets at the top, so that they are inside against the frame of the window, so a person can not just pull the unit out. With the stick pressing down on the frame window, so that the frame is pressing against the top of the a/c, it also makes it harder for someone to push the unit inside, if you are on a ground floor, or have a fire escape outside the window.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #3

It will rest in the window but there are huge gaps between the unit and e window and the accordion things won't secure properly because of the extra long back part of the bottom rail.
Is there a term or type of window these are called where that bottom rail is taller in back than it is in front?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Because normal window units are not made for wide windows. They usually state a Min & Max window size. Only way around it, is to build a frame out of exterior grade plywood painted with good latex paint to protect it from the elements, and have a hole that is just big enough for the window unit to fit into. Think of it like a square donut.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 05-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #5

I think I got it, and just in time too. Inbetween my last post and this post my computer shut itself down and would not come back on, likely due to the heat.

I ended up pushing the ac unit back so its mounting bracket rested against the second instead of the first lip of the window like the instructions indicated, this allowed the window to close down almost all the way onto it. Part of the window covers up the screw holes so I can't screw it in but its very secure right now. All I have to do it grab a window lock to keep somebody from lifting the window up and I'll be all set.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

A hole in the side of the frame, with a screw in it, or nail helps to keep people from pushing the window up. At the end of the year, you can squeeze some caulk into the hole to seal it.

Advertisement