Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Help: need to run dryer exhaust

We have gutted our house, except for some studs, windows, doors, exterior brick and roof. It is a slab house that has previously been added on to, built 1954. The sun room addition left the laundry room with no exterior walls. They didn't have a dryer, so we aren't sure what is the best way to do a dryer exhaust keeping in mind all the sheetrock is off, all ductwork and insulation is out of the attic, so this is the best time to tackle it. We could
  1. run it through the wall behind the dryer which leads into the bathroom (it has an exterior wall) and run the vent through a vanity cabinet in bathroom to exterior wall (brick)
  2. run behind the washer, through the wall beside washer thru sun room and out an exterior wall (wood) and build a cabinet over it in dining room.
  3. we welcome any better ideas
Thanks !!!!

simplelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
DIY staff

A sketch or photo would sure help----remember they need to be cleaned out every year or so---a straight run without elbows is ideal--90s are to be limited ---

Old 07-15-2013, 12:07 AM   #3

Can you go up?
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #4

I have attached a sketch of the layout. Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac benny View Post
Can you go up?
Thanks. We could possibly, but my husband is worried about lint hanging up in it? Also would we vent through the roof? We just put a metal roof on 6 mos ago
Old 07-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
A sketch or photo would sure help----remember they need to be cleaned out every year or so---a straight run without elbows is ideal--90s are to be limited ---
SC & thanks for your help
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #7

Looks like your best bet is to either go up and outside through the roof, or out through the sun room and out to outside (no getting around elbows there). If you go out through the sun room, you can at least minimize the length of the run and make it easier to brush out any captured lint. Easier to punch through the wood sun room wall than the brick bath wall.

ETA: swapping the W/D positions from the photo/plan would put the dryer closer to the exit wall.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to huesmann For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-16-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
Looks like your best bet is to either go up and outside through the roof, or out through the sun room and out to outside (no getting around elbows there). If you go out through the sun room, you can at least minimize the length of the run and make it easier to brush out any captured lint. Easier to punch through the wood sun room wall than the brick bath wall.

ETA: swapping the W/D positions from the photo/plan would put the dryer closer to the exit wall.
Thanks. This too is what I thought was the best solution. However swapping the W/D does make sense & thought about that but I don't know if the extra 2.5 feet gained would be worth doing laundry backwards for 7 people the next umpteen years lol ??? :D I had planned on a folding table to the right of dryer extending to the door way.

Tags
dryer exhaust, slab