Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
Currently living in Japan

Share |

Help me hotwire my dryer!

Hahaha, I live in Japan, and have a National (Panasonic) dryer. Recently, it won't start, or will start and stop in fits, the electronic panel at the front complaining all the time (via beeps, clicks, etc). This dryer is 10 years old, and I doubt there are any replacement boards for it. So is it possible to bypass the circuit board completely? I'm including some photos of the dryer here. Using the schematics diagram, I can figure out which wires control which functions (temp., dryness sensor, engine trigger, etc). Can I just connect up the relavant wires and make it go? Or is it absolutley impossible without the computer ciruit board? All the other parts seem to work fine.
Thanks in advance!
-Jonny

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...t=SANY2504.jpg

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...t=SANY2498.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...o/SANY2499.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...o/SANY2500.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...o/SANY2502.jpg

TheNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:37 PM   #2

Have you checked the board for damaged solder joints?

Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:01 PM   #3

There is a sensor when you open the lid. May be it ditect as open lid. Find the sensor attached to the lid (or door). Try to by pass it.
Then try the machine again.
mpj111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #4

I would also think bad solder joints...10 years is about it for most appliances these days...Time for a new one Jonny....
GE JIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:51 AM   #5

Thanks for the replys.
The whole board is waterproof, as in encased in silicon gell or something, so I can't check those contacts.
Is there a way to just hook power directly to the motor and heaters? I can clearly see which wires do that. Can I just join the power wires to those manualy when I need to use the dryer?
In the pic you can see the wires, and they all unplug. So say the orange ones are for the motor, pink and brown for heaters, and the black ones are for power, can't I just buy an adapter and directly connect them?
A new dryer will be expensive (long story). And this is more fun!

Last edited by TheNiceGuy; 02-10-2009 at 05:58 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:16 AM   #6

FORGET ABOUT IT.

Do yourself a favor for safetys sake and have a repairman check it out. Besides it near time you thought of replacing it and its not expensive. The alternative is a possible fire if you bypass the electronic circuitry. Now that would be expensive. What you want to do is not approved by any electrical organization or civil authority. Are you ready to accept the responsibility and pay for your foolish idea?
rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #7

Geez, quit the hatin' buster.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #8

Its not just your life and property you want to take a chance on but what about damage to others property or don't you care? I heard of hotwireing the starter on a car but you're the worlds first to ask about doing the same for an appliance. Get Real.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #9

Just given the symptoms, I'm betting a loose or intermitent connection due to vibration.

But Rj makes a good point about your safety and liability.

It's one thing to be confident you have repaired and inrtermittent problem when it's electrical. It's another thing to sleep around one that's not fixed right.
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:47 PM   #10

What the hey! Don't you pros recognize a troll in 'Then Nice Guy". We got his IP and other proxy IDs and screen names documented at three different sites.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:41 AM   #11

Chemist1961- That's all I needed to know. Thanks a lot.
GE JIM- thanks for the input, but a reason why would be helpful. my neighbor (who knows absolutely nothing of electronics, DIY, etc, and has been "taken for a ride" several times) said the same thing to me.
mpj111-worth a try.
rjordan392-you appear to have some personality problems if you feel the need to attack someone for asking a polite question in the hopes of learning something. You better pray you come into my area of expertise. I'm usually nice to new people, but I'll make an exception with you.
hvaclover= internet stalker?

I'd appreciate it if *a few* people can check their egos at the door next time and stay on topic. This is silly. I'm done here.

Last edited by TheNiceGuy; 02-11-2009 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:34 AM   #12

To all who answered the poster,
My expertise is in fire safety. The poster's question is the most outragious that I have seen on this forum. I have seen many diy projects that showed that the do it yourselfer had limited or no knowledge of what he was doing or getting into. Apparantly he can't handle the truth that this is a foolish Idea. It was not a polite question, it was a dumb question.
Those of you who also answered his post are a little guilty of not reminding him of the dangers of bypassing electronic circuitry. Just say no, the next time this happens. Its one thing to do something wrong but when you expose your neighbors through your own foolishness, then thats another. Any electrical contractor would have told him the same.

And hvaclover, you may be right and he could be a troll.

Last edited by rjordan392; 02-11-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceGuy View Post
Chemist1961- That's all I needed to know. Thanks a lot.
GE JIM- thanks for the input, but a reason why would be helpful. my neighbor (who knows absolutely nothing of electronics, DIY, etc, and has been "taken for a ride" several times) said the same thing to me.
mpj111-worth a try.
rjordan392-you appear to have some personality problems if you feel the need to attack someone for asking a polite question in the hopes of learning something. You better pray you come into my area of expertise. I'm usually nice to new people, but I'll make an exception with you.
hvaclover= internet stalker?

I'd appreciate it if *a few* people can check their egos at the door next time and stay on topic. This is silly. I'm done here.

I know a troll when I see one and this ain't the first or last time i have caught you in the act.

But at least my dryer works.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:58 AM   #14

i'm a luddite. what's a troll in computer speak??
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:40 AM   #15

Google it for a full description