Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Help with kenmore fridge water leak

Hi there. I have a kenmore elite side by side fridge with a water and ice dispenser. The water dispenser has been dripping lately, sometimes to the point that I have a small lake in front of my fridge.

I have done general research that has said it could be the solenoid, but when I look at the service manual it doesn't have a solenoid listed.

I don't have the model # because I am at work but can provide it later. The fridge is just about 7 years old if that helps. Any thought on what might be going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #2
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,108

When you get home, get model number and post it here so we can give you better advice/suggestions. Thanks. They're all a little different.

jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #3

Will do. Thanks!

Old 06-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
Retired Army Veteran

Thanks. As you have already found out by doing a search, it could be a weak solenoid for the water dispenser, which would require replacing the water inlet valve or the tubing may have worked it's way loose and just need extending/recutting/replacing. They sell rebuild kits. Just have to get the right one for your model.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #5

Here is a pic with model number. Any help is appreciated.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:03 PM   #6
Retired Army Veteran

First, make sure it's just not a loose hose/tube, etc., before you go changing parts. Can you post some pictures of where it's leaking? Thanks.

Click on searspartsdirect link. Click on chat and explain to them your issue. They will help you in determining the correct part for your model as whirlpool and kenmore use the same parts. Chat may be closed for the day, may have to call or try tomorrow.

searspartsdirect

If no help from sears, you can also try appliancepartspros.com. click on link, then click on chat with a pro. Chat may be closed for the day, may have to call or try tommorrow. They also have a repair video which you can view.

appliancepartspros

Last edited by jmon; 06-09-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #7

This is a picture of where it is leaking from. It fills the drip pan which then overflows on the floor.

I will check the links. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to joshs For This Useful Post:
jmon (06-09-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 09:49 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Drip pans usually have electric heaters that evaporate the water. The water comes from the freezer section. The freezer periodically increases temperature and melts ice on the evaporator coils inside the freezer so frost doesn't build up. The water goes down to the pan to be evaporated. The heater on the pan is normally on, and may burn out over time.
Willy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:28 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 81

Any chance there is air in the line? If you changed your water filter lately, that's most likely the cause.
bilug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:08 AM   #10

Thanks for the replies. I changed the filter this past weekend and thought it was good because it didn't happen for a but then it started up again. Still infrequent but still happening.

The water is for sure coming out of the water line. I don't know if the freezer would drain through that or not but it is the line.

Regarding the freezer, I did notice drips in the freezer last night near the internal ice dispenser that's the first I have noticed that though.
The Following User Says Thank You to joshs For This Useful Post:
jmon (06-10-2014)
Old 06-10-2014, 07:37 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 25

The water/solenoid valve appears to be leaking internally. It supplies water up to the ice maker when the ice maker tells it to.
It's located in the bottom back of the fridge and has the external water supply connected to it. Easy to check by unscrewing water line going up into freezer. If bad- water will be dripping at that open connection. Unplug fridge for this test. Locate and test your on/off water valve from under the sink. You don't want to hunt it after an accident and you will need it off to replace that solenoid.
jehiatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehiatt View Post
The water/solenoid valve appears to be leaking internally. It supplies water up to the ice maker when the ice maker tells it to.
It's located in the bottom back of the fridge and has the external water supply connected to it. Easy to check by unscrewing water line going up into freezer. If bad- water will be dripping at that open connection. Unplug fridge for this test. Locate and test your on/off water valve from under the sink. You don't want to hunt it after an accident and you will need it off to replace that solenoid.
Ok I need to get a couple things cleared up. I'm assuming I want to turn water line off before disconnecting or it will just spray when I disconnect from fridge.

So first step turn off water and disconnect water line from fridge. Then will I see the hoses going to the water dispenser and the ice box? Will it be one line?

Regarding dripping. It will only drip at the solenoid if the line is bad? Does that mean past the solenoid because the solenoid should stop water from leaking so there is bad connection? And how do I tell if it's just a poor connection with water line vs solenoid being bad?

Thanks again for all the help!