DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

help with dryer. vent size problem?

54K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  beenthere 
#1 ·
so I ordered a washer/dryer to put in my apt from best buy.

they came to try to install and they told me that the dryer uses a 4 inch vent hose, and my vent opening is only 3.5 inches, so it does not fit. they told me to buy an adaptor. In the mean time, they put the vent hose through my wall and put a lint trap.

I went to a model home in my apartment with a 4 inch vent hose, and it seems to fit fine on a 3.5 vent hole on my all. Am I missing something?

I also went ahead and bought an adaptor, but I dont even know if I got the correct one. I bought a 4inch by 3 inch reducer. To me, it seems like it fits better witout the adaptor. Am I missing something?

no matter what, they are coming over this weekend and I want to make sure to get this fixed.

Is the adaptor I bought the correct one? Am I missing somethng here?

#3 ·
4" is the minimum safety code size all across the country...........

Be safe, Gary

#4 ·
they came to try to install and they told me that the dryer uses a 4 inch vent hose, and my vent opening is only 3.5 inches, so it does not fit. they told me to buy an adaptor. In the mean time, they put the vent hose through my wall and put a lint trap. Am I missing somethng here?
Where is Rusty when you need him. He fixes 97 dollar installations.:laughing:

#5 · (Edited)
Reducers, elbows, tees, etc., have an equivalent duct length [of 4" duct or 3" duct] but I cannot find the reducer value anywhere on the Web.

From Nutone:
"
Determine the equivalent duct length for each 90 degree
elbow by adding one foot of duct length for each inch of
duct diameter, i.e., a 4 inch diameter duct elbow equals
4 feet equivalent duct length and an 8 inch diameter
duct elbow equals 8 feet equivalent duct length.
"

#6 ·
#8 ·
3.5" duct pipe

You probably have a brick facade on your house reducing the space in the wall and need an adapter. The other option is clamp it down and tear the house then wrap with duct tape. I don't know why they don't just make it with a 4" opening on the end. You might try a mobile home supply place if you don't find the adapter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.