Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #1

Share |

Help with Central Vac recommendation

I am a pretty experienced DIYer but know virtually nothing about central vacuums and need some help.

My family moved into a new house that we bought from an older, childless and petless couple. They had super high end white carpet throughout the house. White of course is not very compatible with 2 kids and 3 coonhounds. Replacing it with a different color of the same quality would be cost prohibitive at this time so we are very focused on taking good care of it.

The house had a Vacu Maid Silent Partner S2000 (525 airwatts) installed and it does not do the job for us, especially on pet hair. We started looking to go back to an upright, but a good quality Miele is almost $600 so I want to revisit the central vacuum thing. I have read a bunch on the internet and am very confused. Three questions for the experts.

1) Will a central vac ever give me the power of an upright? I used to have a kirby which worked really well.

2) Can I replace the motor in my unit with a motor from a bigger unit? Or are the sizes such that I will never be able to make that work. I can get a motor from a S2600 for only a couple of hundred bucks

3) If I replace the power head what should I go with? The house is 3900 square feet. Some sites say 700 air watts, some say 900l, I got a quote for a 600 air watt IImperium when I filled out an online request form.

Thanks in advance for the thoughts.

steelman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #2

Help with Central Vac recommendation

it will never be like an upright. i love my central vac but it cant compete with eureka boss.

the issue is friction, hundreds of feet of pvc will always cause a lot of friction so the air will slow.

you can also get a powered attachement for the central vac so you have a beater-bar head/etc...usually they put outlets right next to vacuum ports for this reason.

central vacs are highly engineered, dont up-spec the motor (the impellers also crush/pulverize the debris)..change the whole unit and you cant go too big, no such thing!

jcrack_corn is offline   Reply With Quote