Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #1

Share |

Grease For Gas Valve and Where to Buy It

I had a problem with a stuck gas valve on a stove and took it apart; the rotating part is a cone that fits into a socket. I'm told that the old grease got hardened making it difficult to turn the valve on and off.

Is there a special kind of grease, or are there generic kinds of grease that the big box stores sell?

Also is there some description of how much grease to use? Too much and some oozes into the passageways blocking the gas flow, no?

Old 11-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
Tileguy

H-m-m-m-m, that's a curious topic. I was always told to NEVER NEVER NEVER use any kind of a lubricant when it comes to gas fittings. But that goes way back to my old welding school days. Welding gasses and home-use gasses may be two different things.

I wouldn't be greasing anything until you can get the facts.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:03 AM   #3

Yeah, there is a grease for that. back in the 'day' when stuff was repaired, rather than replaced, it was a common repair. you have to buy the stuff rated for gas [restaurant or plumbing supply?]. unless your valve is nla or too pricey it's probably safer and less hassel to just replace the valve-o rings ok?
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:03 AM   #4

This valve does not have O-rings. The valve works like a ball valve except that the rotating part is a "barrel" that is cone shaped (with a hole going through that aligns with the valve inlet and outlet). When installed the barrel is pressed into place and the cone shape (together with grease) allows spring pressure holding the barrel in place to seal it.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #5

Sounds like a plug valve, which means it's probably pretty old and you'd be better off just replacing it. Graphite grease is what's used on gas valves, but since the grease has hardened you may just end up wrecking the valve by pumping grease into it. There are solvents that will dissolve the old grease, but that's more of a fix for larger, buried valves, such as on gas mains, that aren't easily replaced.
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
H-m-m-m-m, that's a curious topic. I was always told to NEVER NEVER NEVER use any kind of a lubricant when it comes to gas fittings. But that goes way back to my old welding school days. Welding gasses and home-use gasses may be two different things.

I wouldn't be greasing anything until you can get the facts.
What you are somewhat remembering is one of the golden rules of oxy-acetaline welding: never use oil or grease on welding equipment as they may ignite spontaneously on contact with oxygen.

All sorts of lubricants are used in the natural gas industry.
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
Tileguy

Quote:
What you are somewhat remembering is one of the golden rules of oxy-acetaline welding: never use oil or grease on welding equipment as they may ignite spontaneously on contact with oxygen.
Sounds about right, haven't been around any of that stuff for decades.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote