Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Glasstop Stove

Hello,

I am new here and new (just posted in the introduction forum) to appliances in general. My technical background gives me the groundwork necessary to quickly gain an understanding of most any electro-mechanical device.

I have a customer who has a glass top stove with one burner out but I have not had much luck finding information on how these devices work in general or what variations have developed since the products came to market. Can anyone enlighten me a bit on the basics of the glass top stove or point me toward the appropriate information?

Thank you for your assistance.

Steve

AICS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #2

Glasstop Stove

Works like any other stove except coil is under glass. Suggest keying [n model number at an on-line parts supplier. most will provide parts breakdown.

dlwalker77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dlwalker77 For This Useful Post:
AICS (04-18-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Glasstop Stove

are you supposed to be some kind of service man or handyman or what? If you are a repairman and asking this type of question I think maybe your in over your head. Troubleshooting a non working element is kinda rudimentary
Old 04-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #4

Glasstop Stove

hardwareman, thank you for your interest in sharing your thoughts. Please take the time to read the background information I have posted and ask respectful questions designed to gain information. I do not understand why you would come "running out with guns-a-blazin'". It is not helpful and will not benefit either of us. I hope you find someone to remove that thorn from your paw. Have a nice day.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Glasstop Stove

why would I take the time to read your profile, will it explain why a person doing appliance repair service can not even trouble shoot a range element? Will it benefit me to read your profile? Why not just answer my question?
Old 04-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #6

Glasstop Stove

Read your intro message. if you're going to be a bonafide appliance service tech, i.e.-possess the necessary tech skills, have proper ins, and licencing etc-[which i think is what HW/man was alluding to- just we see a lot of 'hackers'] Welcome! you can purchase Service guides -through auth oem distb-...if you meet the criteria; there are private forumns, i.e. repairnet.com---servicetechhelp.com--that would be a help to you getting started. there are also assc you can join-United Servicers--PSA-to name two, plus conventions during the year. first thing you have to do though, is; get registered with one or two OEM parts distb [depends on state=sales tax licence...good luck.
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacques For This Useful Post:
AICS (04-18-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Glasstop Stove

Everybody take some deep cleansing breaths.

Not all those glass top stoves are the same. Some have convection type elements and not typical burners.

Aunt and Uncle had an old JennAir that finally cracked to pieces. Replacement tops were no longer made.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #8

Glasstop Stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by AICS View Post
Hello,

I am new here and new (just posted in the introduction forum) to appliances in general. My technical background gives me the groundwork necessary to quickly gain an understanding of most any electro-mechanical device.

I have a customer who has a glass top stove with one burner out but I have not had much luck finding information on how these devices work in general or what variations have developed since the products came to market. Can anyone enlighten me a bit on the basics of the glass top stove or point me toward the appropriate information?

Thank you for your assistance.

Steve
here is a discription on how to repair also http://www.ehow.com/how_5728861_repl...top-stove.html
here is a google search with more info than maybe needed http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sa=X&ei...9dc676f220bf41

Last edited by del schisler; 04-18-2012 at 04:01 PM.
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #9

Glasstop Stove

Thanks for all the info and the links !!