GE Wall Oven Issue - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
Reckless

Rewards Points: 10

GE Wall Oven issue

The oven is Model #J D14Y1DC, ser# EYD 94185.

The issue is that everything I baked gets burned black on the bottom before the top is near done. It doesn't matter which rack level I use. I'm assuming that the temperature sensor isn't working properly so the element isn't cycling to maintain a set temperature. Any suggestions on how to fix? Are parts still available? Thanks in advance for any help

Advertisement

Reckless73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

GE Wall Oven issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless73 View Post
The issue is that everything I baked gets burned black on the bottom before the top is near done.
The top element is on at 1/4th power, 120v vs 240v, during bake.
I'd say in your case it's burned out or the connector block is bad.
Check the element with an ohmmeter and replace the connector block. The cold resistance of a 1kw element should read about 58 ohms, minus 10%, but if it doesn't read zero or infinity it's probably good.

Advertisement

Last edited by Yoyizit; 05-25-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
Reckless

GE Wall Oven issue

Top element does nothing during bake. If it's supposed to be 1/4 power during bake then it's not doing that. Bottom element stays on all the time during bake. Top element works fine for broil. So, element is not burned out. Shouldn't bottom element cycle on & off to maintain set temperature? What controls that?
Old 05-25-2010, 04:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

GE Wall Oven issue

Shouldn't bottom element cycle on & off to maintain set temperature? Thats my thinking. Temp control and sensor should cycle it off when it reaches set temp.

I did know the broil element worked on 1/4 power. !/4 of what?
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:15 PM   #5

GE Wall Oven issue

I don't remember ever getting anything less than 220 to both elements, but it has been a while.

Thjis may be way off, but I would remove the bake element and check to see if it is shorted. Check with the ohm meter from the inside element to the outside cover. Should be no reading.
Maybe check the door seal too.
See if the sensing tube is cruded over.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:15 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

GE Wall Oven issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless73 View Post
Bottom element stays on all the time during bake.
Top element works fine for broil. So, element is not burned out. Shouldn't bottom element cycle on & off to maintain set temperature? What controls that?
Can you post a schematic?
If the top element works sometimes I'd say the bake/broil switch has bad bake contacts.
At least one element should cycle to keep the setpoint temperature.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #7

GE Wall Oven issue

I think either element will cycle within 20 or 30 degrees of the set temp. Bake cycles when it is on and broil will cycle when it is on.

Rotary controls or pushbutton?
Old 05-25-2010, 05:03 PM   #8

GE Wall Oven issue

Also make sure the sensor/capillary tube is not touching the oven wall.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #9

GE Wall Oven issue

The broil element is used on some stoves when set to bake. I did not know that, but I just read it some site while trying to check the age on this oven. There are 12 letters used. They are used repeatedly for like 10 or 12 year intervals. The first letter in the serial # for a GE signifies the month, the second letter is the year. I could not find the letter Y at all for a GE.

Probably have a bad switch if the sensing tube is not laying against the walls or floor. According to the type, you might be able to calibrate it.

Btw, one site told me the serial # should have 9 characters. Another only showed 8. Confusing.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #10

GE Wall Oven issue

that's a 1964 oven. it does turn the broil unit on at 1/2 vac[gets hot stays dark]. if the bake unit is staying on past the thermostat setting it's more than likely it's the therm'. still avail $200ish.
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #11

GE Wall Oven issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
that's a 1964 oven. it does turn the broil unit on at 1/2 vac[gets hot stays dark]. if the bake unit is staying on past the thermostat setting it's more than likely it's the therm'. still avail $200ish.
That makes sense. My online date source did not go back past the...70"s, I think.

Is that a coppertone oven? I used to could sort of date an appliance by the colors popular at the time. Coppertone, avacado green, harvest gold, etc..

Sounds like time to update with a new oven, unless you can find a used control and want to take a chance on something else going out tomorrow.

Of course, infinite switches are not usually very expensive, but oven controls can be a different story.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #12
Reckless

GE Wall Oven issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
Can you post a schematic?
If the top element works sometimes I'd say the bake/broil switch has bad bake contacts.
At least one element should cycle to keep the setpoint temperature.
No, I can't post a schematic. It was here when I bought the house 3 years ago & I have no documentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post
I think either element will cycle within 20 or 30 degrees of the set temp. Bake cycles when it is on and broil will cycle when it is on.

Rotary controls or pushbutton?
Rotary
Old 05-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #13
Reckless

GE Wall Oven issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
1964 sounds right. That's when the house was built, so it's probably the original. If the thermostat is $200ish, then it's pointless since a new 24" is about $600. By the way, a 24" is nearly a pointless oven anyhow. I also could use a new cooktop, which is a 36" 4 burner electric in stainless. I'm thinking that given the cost of an oven & a cooktop it might be better to run a gas line there, cut the cabinet out & install a 30" gas stove. I want to do a new counter top eventually... in the meantime I can cut the counter & put a butcher block next to the stove.

Oh & Jacques, Go Flyers!!! (I don't really watch hockey) Best of luck to the Phillies!!! (don't follow that much either) Fly Eagles Fly!!!!! (now THAT I'm passionate about!!) Grew up in Wilm., DE & lived in & around Philly for years.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #14
Reckless

GE Wall Oven issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post
That makes sense. My online date source did not go back past the...70"s, I think.

Is that a coppertone oven? I used to could sort of date an appliance by the colors popular at the time. Coppertone, avacado green, harvest gold, etc..

Sounds like time to update with a new oven, unless you can find a used control and want to take a chance on something else going out tomorrow.

Of course, infinite switches are not usually very expensive, but oven controls can be a different story.

Yes, it is coppertone (brown) & I'm changing appliances to black (just installed new dishwasher) & was going to paint the oven door black. If therm is $200ish & who knows what getting the door painted will cost, then, with a new cooktop included, it makes even more sense to go with a gas stove. I mean, $600 minimum for a 24" oven, about $800 for a 36" electric cooktop... I'm already at $1400, I can run the gas line, cut the cabinet & by a nice 30" gas stove (with a much larger oven than the 24") for maybe $600. I think that's the way to go.

Thanks very much Boman47k, Yoyizit & Jacques for your help & advice. I've wanted to do the gas stove thing for 3 years, but couldn't justify it. But with your consensus that I should probably replace the oven, that's all the motivation I need.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #15

GE Wall Oven issue

Just for the heck of it, why don't you take the knob off the heat control and try to recalibrate? If it is the type that you can do this to.

Naa, replace it. It has done its duty.

Advertisement