GE Side By Side Refrigerator Not Cooling - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2009, 10:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

GE side by side refrigerator not cooling

Can someone help please. GE model: psh235gpab5
My refrigerator will not cool at all. The freezer door was left cracked (too full) over night last week. I noticed it was 20 in the freezer and 45 in the frig. This had happened last month and after the door was closed, it cooled right down. It did not cool down this time. I added dry ice for a day. Then unplugged it, emptied it and let it sit overnight. The next day I washed inside and took off back cover to clean condenser. There was some water in the back by the fan in the tray. Vacuumed entire coil and compartment even blew compressed air to get dust I could not get with the vacuum. Plugged it in and can hear the fan turn on right away. Inside the digital thermometer reads 72 for frig and 0 for the freezer. The freezer should have read 72 also since both doors were open over night, room temperature. Let it run for half hour and nothing changed. Not even cool, no fan in the frezer, nothing. I canít hear the compressor coming on, I donít think. I unplugged it, let it sit for a few hours and tried again, same thing. Is it the thermistor, thermostat, or something like that? Please help.

Advertisement

joedadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Joedadog...My guess without being there would be the mother board...It"s located on the back of the refrig behind the freezer area..Take off a panel with about 8 screws on it and there it is....It has been a major source of problems..Some times you can look at the back of it and see burned solder connections....The part number you need is WR49X10152.....

Advertisement

GE JIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:23 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

GE Jim:

Does this fridge have a start relay on the compressor?

Whenever compressors don't start with the evaporator fan, I always suspect the start relay on the compressor.

Is there any reason not to suspect it's the culprit here?

Is it possible to check for a bad start relay if the compressor isn't firing up?

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 01-16-2009 at 12:27 AM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote