GE Side By Side Not Cooling (pics)..HELP! - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

GE side by side not cooling (pics)..HELP!

Yes HELP, I have warm beer ! We got this fridge new about 7 yrs ago (GE side by side) found a huge puddle of water in front of fridge when we came in from a overnight trip. opened the freezer side and found the ice and melted off and (water puddle) and the freezer was barely cool and the fridge side was also not cool. cleaned up the mess and checked the fan in the freezer and the one in the rear of the fridge and both running. removed back cover in freezer and checked for frozen coil but no sign of cooling (in any capacity) was found. checked the motherboard for burnt spots etc but looked ok. did notice there was some green-ish oily water in bottom pan and part of the insulation wrap on a copper line was semi melted off. had left unplugged the fridge overnight and went to check it this am to continue troubleshooting and could hear a slight hissing in the area of this line still and the line was still wet with the oily water (freeon?) and had also collected in the bottom of the insulation wrap. sounds like a leak of sorts to me but any ideas on how to fix? the fridge was working fine about a day before we discovered it not working as if it just failed with little warning. Thanks for any input!

Pics are in my album.. http://www.diychatroom.com/members/exjay-193083/albums/

Advertisement

Exjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #2

Im thinking this is my problem. Need to get a small mirror to check the underside of the line to look for holes still.

http://www.fixya.com/support/t461899...ide_freon_line

Advertisement

Old 06-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 616

No model #?
Feel the coils on the back or under it. They should be hot.
Is the compressor running?
Old 06-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #4

Its a GE model 25 (GSH25JSTA SS). Fans run as soon as being plugged in but really no other noises noted. Coils are slightly warm after running for a awhile but inside is just blowing room temp air. Didne see any noticable or obvious holes in the line just corrosion from it sitting in the foam insulation.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exjay View Post
could hear a slight hissing in the area of this line still and the line was still wet with the oily water (freeon?) and had also collected in the bottom of the insulation wrap. sounds like a leak of sorts to me but any ideas on how to fix?

Pics are in my album.. http://www.diychatroom.com/members/exjay-193083/albums/
hissing noise and oil is never a good thing with refrigeration tubing. Sounds like a leak but you should probably have a tech look at it, but be prepared for a very expense repair if it is a refrigerant leak. That leak will need to be found and repaired (rebrazed), a vacuum pulled on the system and a new filter dryer installed then recharged.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 95

I'd wager you had (have) a leak, and the green stuff is the refrigerant ( compressor ) oil puked out of the offending hole.

I agree with the above, it wont be cheap to fix, although I have no idea on what that cost may end up being. For a ball-park estimate, if you had this done recently, is look to see what it cost your car's AC system to be repaired, providing it wasn't a catastrophic initial problem, like a compressor that imploded ?

Advertisement

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote