GE Refrigerator Side By Side..no Water After Changing Water Filter? - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2015, 08:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 22

GE Refrigerator Side by Side..no water after changing water filter?

Hi...I changed the water filter in my GE Side by Side model#23 refrigerator & now I cannot get any water. It worked fine before I changed the filter but immediately after changing the filter I have not been able to get water from the door spout & the ice maker is not getting any water. I did not change anything in the fridge other than the filter. I read the owners manual & tried all the suggestions with no luck. I have tried to unplug the fridge & then wait a minute & plug it back in but that did not help. I have tried to turn the water supply off & then back on but that did not help. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could try or any fixes for this issue? thanks

Advertisement

dommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:17 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,844

Don't know the machine but I'm pretty sure there is a safety switch on the neck of the filter mount that disallows water flow if the cartridge isn't on properly.

Advertisement

Bob Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Sanders For This Useful Post:
dommm (03-22-2015)
Old 03-22-2015, 10:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
Don't know the machine but I'm pretty sure there is a safety switch on the neck of the filter mount that disallows water flow if the cartridge isn't on properly.
Yes you are correct. I took the plastic cover off that shields the water filter canister/bypass plug & then removed the new water filter I had installed & I see there is a plastic tab that I'm assuming gets depressed when either the water filter or bypass plug in installed. When I manually press that little tab, water squirted out. For some reason it is not getting depressed when I put the filter or bypass plug on. Maybe a piece of that plastic tab has broken off & therefor it does not get depressed enough to allow the water to flow. I'm wondering if I can buy a replacement for it?
Old 03-22-2015, 03:30 PM   #4

I'm going to answer my own question from the above post. I googled for GE fridge parts & found the item I need.
The Following User Says Thank You to dommm For This Useful Post:
jmon (03-22-2015)