DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

GE refrigerator not cooling

6K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jeff1 
#1 ·
I have a older model GE refrigerator (TBX25RKB) (conventional top freezer) that I keep in the garage for drinks and overflow freezer space. I noticed a few days ago the beer seemed warm. Checked the freezer and everything was frozen. Turned freezer and refrigerator to coldest settings. Today I put a thermometer in to see temps. Refrigerator was 48 and freezer was 19 degrees. The unit is running and the fan is circulating air. Any ideas on the problem. Could it be low freon? Is it worth fixing?

#2 ·
Hi,

I noticed a few days ago the beer seemed warm. Checked the freezer and everything was frozen. Turned freezer and refrigerator to coldest settings.
Usually won't help cranking the controls up.

Today I put a thermometer in to see temps. Refrigerator was 48 and freezer was 19 degrees.
Freezer is a bit warm as well!
40ºF and 0ºF would be better.

Could it be low freon?
With it's age, a leaker is possible.

Is it worth fixing?
Wouldn't really know until the acual trouble maker is found and what is required to correct the problem....then an educated decision could be made, repair or replace.

Some common things to check...
http://www.applianceaid.com/frig_notcold.html

jeff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.