Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

GE Refridgerator Freezer meltdown

The tenant in our rental unit reported the freezer was no colder than the fridge after a electrical blackout. The two conditions may be related or not.

The fridge is a GE Frost Free Top Freezer unit Model # GTS17BBMDRWW / Serial # HD787732. I purchased an online repair manual to see if it was something I could troubleshoot myself and ended up recruiting my dad to test the various connections for continuity and resistance.

I started by cleaning the coils underneath and checking both evaporator and condenser fans were operating properly. Air was circulating in the freezer but it was not getting cold. After all the connections seemed to check out I cleaned the freezer evaporator cover and floor panel and noticed some heat damage.

The plastic piece below the styrofoam block had a heat blister on it. The styrofoam had a meltaway spot, the left lower interior corner had some liner failure and the back of the floor panel had some browned plastic heat damage. I took pics that I will try to attach.

Not sure if this is a problem with the freezer thermostat, the defrost control located in the roof of the fridge or the heater itself. Anyone seen anything like this before and, if so, how did you figure out what needed replacement?
Attached Thumbnails
GE Refridgerator Freezer meltdown-03-27-12_1406.jpg   GE Refridgerator Freezer meltdown-03-27-12_1405.jpg   GE Refridgerator Freezer meltdown-03-27-12_1409.jpg   GE Refridgerator Freezer meltdown-03-27-12_1414.jpg  

Brywhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,004

I don't know what caused the problem but I would be motivated to get that refrigerator out of that rental unit before it starts a fire and puts your tenant at risk.

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,000

looks like the unit got a little hot during a defrost cycle, not a huge deal but if your going to keep the refrig you need to have it checked professionally. That problem however is not the reason for no cooling, so you have 2 problems to deal with.
Brywhy (04-04-2012)
Old 03-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks hardwareman. I bought a replacement for the condo the next day and brought home the bad one to tinker with. Looks like it is not worth the effort or cost to repair if I can't do it myself.
Brywhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Sound to me like the defrost timer but be going bad/stuck in defrost. The prolonged defrost cycle would great up the fridge and freezer and also melt that bottom piece. I'd replace the defrost timer and let it come to temp for a few days to make sure it's cooling properly.
jfrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jfrotten For This Useful Post:
Brywhy (04-04-2012)