Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2009, 07:04 AM   #1

Share |

GE Profile Washing Machine

I replaced the transmission on my washing machine last summer. Ever since then, it has been ultra-sensitive to out of balance loads.I opened it up and double checked that all the tub supports are properly placed and nothing odd there. Before I changed the part, the washer would occasionally thump with an out of balance load (maybe 1 out of 10-15 loads) but now it seems that only 1 out of 15 doesn't thump. Am I missing something?

Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:19 AM   #2

did you mix up support rods?? they are location sensitive.

Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #3

Not that I recall. If I remember correctly, I left them hanging in the machine when I dropped everything out but it was a long time ago. Is there any way to determine if they're in the wrong place?
Old 12-14-2009, 06:52 AM   #4

the front are yellow. this is uncommon for this washer to go out of balance. GE hung their hat on this feature. the tub is balanced by; the rods, straps, rear self leveling legs, and balance ring[thing that fits under plastic clothes guard [on top of tub] if it's going o/b on you a lot [banging] something is worn. i assume it's on a good floor and front legs are not up too high?? also, tub bearing was ok?-tub not wobbely on trans shaft??
Old 12-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #5

Yellow ones are in the front and all are seated in the brackets. The floor is good, the front legs are only out about 1/4" and I checked to be sure that the rear legs are free to move. I do recall that the strap on the front left of the machine was broken not long after the unit was installed. I replaced it and found it broken a few months later. When I replaced the transmission, I replaced all 4 and they are all still intact. What about the balance ring at the top of the drum? Is that something that wears or is it just a weight to help load up the tub?
Old 12-15-2009, 07:23 AM   #6

if it[bal ring]fails[rare] it's usually due to being banged on side of tub. it's a sealed ring filled with fluid to help the tub spin true.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #7

Can I get to that balance ring without disassembling the entire machine again?
Old 12-16-2009, 05:15 AM   #8

yeah. just remove top and plastic clothes guard. it sits on top of tub.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:13 AM   #9

Opened it up and the ring does have fluid in it. I pulled the basket just to check and the left handed nut that secures it to the transmission spline was loose. I took it off, cleaned up the surfaces and put it back on but I can't get it to turn beyond the point that it contacts the basket. I removed the basket and was able to run the nut all the way down with no binding so I ran a smooth file over the mounting surface to remove a burr that was there (it was outside where the nut contacts but I wanted to be sure). Once everything is back, I still can't turn the nut beyond initial contact. Since the nut is aluminum, I'm a bit leery about putting a hammer to the pipe wrench on it so wanted to check before I cost myself a bunch of money.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:22 AM   #10

I went ahead and used a mallet to tighten up the nut and got it snugged down. Washer still bounces around when on spin cycle but only when it first starts to spin. After about 10-15 seconds, it settles down. Should that balance ring be completely full of fluid? When I moved it around, it felt like it may have been about 1/2 full.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:27 AM   #11

ok, what's wrong with your washer is; the basket hub is worn. if stainless basket you have to buy basket [comes with hub] if porcelin you can buy separate. also you'll need to change that nut and rings[3 parts]if you go with repair....myself, i would walk on this washer even though you're fixing it yourself. it's just not that good a washer once it starts to break. if you leave it as is the nut will loosen up again-so just bang it back down.