GE Profile Screw On Valve? - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 722

GE Profile Screw On Valve?

Fridge was getting warm so I was cleaning up the condenser to see if that would help. Since I had the soap out, I gave a little spray around to check for leaks.

In the pic, I found what appears to be a leak at a screw on? valve. Is this a factory type fitting that's coming out lately?

It appears to attach like one of those water pipe take off fittings.

Things are really going down hill these days.

Advertisement

123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,370

That's not factory. It's an after market service port, and it's not at all uncommon. Clearly the fridge has been serviced in the past.

Advertisement

Bob Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 634

Deleted

Last edited by joecaption; 07-20-2014 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Picture did not come up.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
That's not factory. It's an after market service port, and it's not at all uncommon. Clearly the fridge has been serviced in the past.
Thanks.

I'm gonna give some major flack to someone......
Our refrigeration guy was in there doing work before.
Twice in the last five years on this piece of junk. Why he didn't sweat in a valve, I will have to find out.

So then, are you saying that the factory doesn't provide access valves?
Old 07-20-2014, 05:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,370

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
So then, are you saying that the factory doesn't provide access valves?
For average residential fridges and window shaker AC's... no. That's why they make after market service ports!

It's not normal to sweat a valve on. That's not really done. It's not solder that's used for refrigeration in the first place. It's all copper brazing. The clamping service ports are used mostly because you don't have to empty, evacuate and recharge with them. Just clamp it on and push the pincher and you have instant access. To braze a new valve on you actually have to open the system up... which costs A LOT extra.

Last edited by Bob Sanders; 07-20-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Bob Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #6
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
For average residential fridges and window shaker AC's... no. That's why they make after market service ports!

It's not normal to sweat a valve on. That's not really done. It's not solder that's used for refrigeration in the first place. It's all copper brazing. The clamping service ports are used mostly because you don't have to empty, evacuate and recharge with them. Just clamp it on and push the pincher and you have instant access. To braze a new valve on you actually have to open the system up... which costs A LOT extra.

In the business in which I work, we refer to the parts in the system as being either sweat or flare. The sweat parts are indeed brazed on with silfoss. I don't take any chances with flare nuts, so my guy should have known I would never accept a screw on part like this.

The time savings is now unrealized because now he will be evacuating the system, brazing on a valve, vacuuming and recharging.

It's always better to pay for one complete job rather than 1/2 jobs several times.

BTW, the compressor was replaced, so the system was already open at the time. Arrrghhh......

The other repair was a burned out cooling fan for the condenser.

Advertisement