Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #1

Share |

GE Profile Refrigerator Whistling Noise

I have had a GE Profile Bottom-Freezer refrigerator for about 2 years now. I've never had a single issue with it until recently. It seems like when the fan hits a certain speed it starts resonating. It sounds like someone is blowing into one of those old candy whistles slowly but steadily and it's loud enough that it wakes me up at night. Of course, when the fan hits a high speed the resonating howling/whistling sound goes away. I tried the empty-the-ice-tray trick but that did nothing.

Some other things I've noticed (Although I can't tell if it's just me being hyper-aware now).

- The freezer, while set to 0 degrees, seems to go up to around 8 degrees and hover around 4 degrees. Again, this could be a defrost cycle.
- The refrigerator, while it does have the correct temp (37 degrees), it seems to have more humidity. I've also noticed little ice-beads around the vent in the back of the refrigerator. This may also be because I can't keep my head out of the freezer area looking for the whistle.

Any ideas?
wallix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #2

I would check evaporator fan. Motor may be going out,or blade is loose on shaft. Hope this helps
d scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:49 AM   #3

you should call someone for service. it's not going to get better and may cause other problems. you may have a bad computer and or damper may be leaking air.
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by d scott View Post
I would check evaporator fan. Motor may be going out,or blade is loose on shaft. Hope this helps
Hi all!
I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
Jack of all - master none

My GE Profile (bottom freezer, french doors) is about 6 months old - no troubles for me yet. The manual did say something that if condensation was appearing to "turn off the energy saver button." Mine is located on the front panel with the other controls. I've seen older GE Profile's with an energy saver switch inside by the temperature setting knobs. Maybe give that a shot.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote