GE Profile Refrigerator Door Won't Stay Closed - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2009, 01:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

GE Profile refrigerator door won't stay closed

My 1986 GE Profile refrigerator (side-by-side) door will not stay closed.

I've rearranged all the food items to make sure there's no interference from something in the door or on the shelves, so that's not it.

The freezer door stays closed just fine, but I have to keep a gallon of water braced against the bottom of the refigerator door side to keep it pushed tight - otherwise it hangs near the sealing face, but the door seal just doesn't seem to stick to the box - as if something was pushing the door out about a quarter inch.

It is as if the magnetic door seal has lost all it's magnetism and no longer clings to the box side. Can that happen - Can the seal lose it's magnetism over time? and if so - Is it easy to replace? (& where do you recommend I order one?)

If it's not the seal, could it be that the hinges somehow got out of adjustment? (& if so, is there a procedure for getting the adjustment right - so I don't make it worse?)

Thanking you in advance!
Dan

Advertisement

Motorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

GE Profile refrigerator door won't stay closed

The door cam may be broken. At the bottom of the door there are two cams; one attached to the door and the other attached to the hinge. If the one attached to the door is broken all you need is the cam (part number WR2X4901). If the one attached to the hinge is broken you will have to order the hinge kit, which comes with the other cam. You will have to order that by model number because there are a few hinges. Hope this helps!

Advertisement

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 09-30-2010 at 12:32 PM. Reason: removed adv link in post
applianceman is offline   Reply With Quote