Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

GE ice maker not releasing ice

I have GE fridge model: tfx22prbbbb

I turned my ice maker off for the winter as I wont be using it.

I decided to turn it on yesterday and have noticed it is not making any ice.

The ice maker in the manual doesnt seem to match what I have. the manuall shows the wire-like feeler arm, where I have an on/off switch and paddle.
I ran the diagnostic (turn on, press paddle in 3 times) (http://www.geappliances.com/videos-m...tegoryid=13814). I tried it 3 times, the first two times nothing seemed to happen, on the last try, the releasing fingers did rotate 360 and the mold filled with water so I thought everything was working last night.

This morning, I notice there is still no ice in the tray. the mold has frozen ice in it, but it did not get pushed into the tray. I dont think the ice is stuck, the releasing fingers look like they are in the same position as before and have not even tried

Any ideas?

Also, can someone explain how the paddle actually knows the ice tray is full? I could understand if it was a level sensor, but it seems to rotate horizontally.

Last edited by lmbgm; 09-04-2010 at 08:52 AM.
lmbgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

I viewed the video, pretty self-explanatory. The paddle does not know the ice tray is full. The water into the ice tray is controlled by a timer that is very accurate. The freezing of the water into ice depends on freezer compartment temperature and air flow. There is a thermocouple in the ice maker which detects the ice maker tray temp. This tells the ice maker's brain the ice is made and it is ready to dump. Most of today's ice maker trays have a small heater element built in to slightly warm the mold to make dumping the ice cubes easier. Especially your type that has the rotating fingers. It sounds as if everything is ready and waiting on the thermocouple to be satisfied. Try lowering the freezer thermostat a couple of settings, give it 24 hrs. and see what happens. David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
I viewed the video, pretty self-explanatory. The paddle does not know the ice tray is full. The water into the ice tray is controlled by a timer that is very accurate. The freezing of the water into ice depends on freezer compartment temperature and air flow. There is a thermocouple in the ice maker which detects the ice maker tray temp. This tells the ice maker's brain the ice is made and it is ready to dump. Most of today's ice maker trays have a small heater element built in to slightly warm the mold to make dumping the ice cubes easier. Especially your type that has the rotating fingers. It sounds as if everything is ready and waiting on the thermocouple to be satisfied. Try lowering the freezer thermostat a couple of settings, give it 24 hrs. and see what happens. David
ok, I'll try lowering the temperature in the freezer. I just measured and its about 14degF in there right now. the freezer temp setting goes from A - E, I had it set to between C and D.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Our freezer has a digital display
Its usually around 2 f
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:53 PM   #5

Its down to -10F now and its been 5hrs. I figure it should be done by now
Old 09-06-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

OH my word! I have never seen a residential freezer unit that would go that low. My training taught me that somewhere in the neighborhood of 0F. +/- 2F. is sufficient. As Dave stated, his is at 2 F, which would be fine. I would question the accuracy of your thermometer, sorry. At 14 F. that would prohibit the making of ice. Having it in the area of 0 F. for 24 hours should produce ice. IF it does not, that a service call may be necessary. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:49 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Mine goes down to -10 or so right before a defrost cycle
But it doesn't stay there long
Ticks me off when I go to get ice cream & its hard as a rock
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #8

well, its definitely cold enough. I guess its broken