GE Dishwasher - Removing Lower Spray Arm - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

GE Dishwasher - removing lower spray arm

Hi everyone,

Lately my GE Dishwasher (Model GSD5211P00BB - see picture #1 below) hasn't been properly washing dishes and has been leaving a bit of water on the bottom.

I tried taking it apart tonight, but am stuck. I unscrewed the two screws holding the basket in place at the back (which appearing to have some gunk from our liquid detergent and some mold on it - see picture #2 on the right side), but the basket is attached to the lower spray arm piece.

I've looked up how to remove the lower spray arm with no success. There doesn't appear to be a screw or piece holding it in place. Some sources say to pull up while twisting counterclockwise which doesn't appear to do anything (I don't want to break the plastic, and if i pull harder, I worry I will). Others say to insert a screwdriver at the bottom, but I don't see a spot to do so.

Take a look at pictures 3 and 4 - there looks to be a plastic piece out of place with a yellow rubber piece sticking out. I can't really move these around or try to fix them without getting the spray arm off.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

H
Attached Thumbnails
GE Dishwasher - removing lower spray arm-phpm8q8vapm.jpg   GE Dishwasher - removing lower spray arm-php5xoqeypm.jpg   GE Dishwasher - removing lower spray arm-phpkg4nyspm.jpg   GE Dishwasher - removing lower spray arm-phpva0xhgpm.jpg  

Advertisement

handeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,070

lower spray arm on GE came off one of two ways depending on age. Older style, unscrew the tower nozzle that comes out of the spray arm. newer style, lift up while turning counter clockwise( may take more than a little upward force.

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
lower spray arm on GE came off one of two ways depending on age. Older style, unscrew the tower nozzle that comes out of the spray arm. newer style, lift up while turning counter clockwise( may take more than a little upward force.
I don't think it's the older style, as you can see from picture #2, there's no spot to screw in the tower nozzle.

I've tried several times lifting and turning the spray arm, and if I do it anymore I'm going to break the plastic. It just seems to spin when I do that....any other tips or ideas?
Old 12-14-2011, 07:30 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

That's how the spray arm assb' comes off- on your d/w=lift and turn ccw. looks like your using all n one tablets. maybe you'll find the plastic wrappers are down in the sump- blocking the screen that's down there.
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Underneath the spray arm in the front is a screw. Remove it. Then stick your head all of the way in the dishwasher. Behind the spray arm there is a plastic tab that you have to pull out prior to lifting up on the spray arm. Be careful though, if you pull too hard it will snap off. This tab is ultimately what is holding the arm in place.

Last edited by jfrotten; 12-14-2011 at 12:10 PM.
jfrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jfrotten For This Useful Post:
handeman (12-14-2011)
Old 12-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,070

can not find your model # in the parts look up..... strange

Last edited by hardwareman; 12-14-2011 at 11:56 PM.
hardwareman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrotten View Post
Underneath the spray arm in the front is a screw. Remove it. Then stick your head all of the way in the dishwasher. Behind the spray arm there is a plastic tab that you have to pull out prior to lifting up on the spray arm. Be careful though, if you pull too hard it will snap off. This tab is ultimately what is holding the arm in place.
That was it - thanks JFrotten! The screw had already come loose on its own. I just had to get a screwdriver in the tab at the back and the arm slipped right off.

I took apart the rest of the bottom parts and cleaned out all the gunk. I couldn't find any obvious clogs or anything though. We'll give it another try and see what happens...

Advertisement

Tags
dishwasher , removal , repair , spray arm