Gas Stove - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

gas stove

we're thinking (my "assistant" and I) that when we re-do our kitchen with a tile floor we'll also replace our "ugly" electric range with a new gas one. (probably a GE "Profile" slide-in) yes,we have to run a gas line but the line going to the fireplace isn't far away so that shouldn't be too hard. anyway,my question is whether or not the gas stove has to be vented to the outside. there's a vent under the built-in microwave but I think it's the "ventless" type. anyone?

tnx,

Advertisement

analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
30 year tech

Rewards Points: 250

gas stove

Around here it would not need to be vented per code. The gas line for the fireplace is probably not sized for anything more.

Advertisement

hvac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #3

gas stove

No it does not.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 536

gas stove

Gas cooking stoves do not need an outside vent.
Far better to have the gas company come hook this up for you to make sure there's going to be a big enough supply line meets codes, and does not leak.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #5

gas stove

so,if I understand correctly,there's a minimum size pipe to conduct a large enough volume of gas to the stove? yikes!if the supply line going to the fireplace isn't big enough,then a new line would have to run all the way from the meter on the outside of the house (or the existing pipe replaced) which is like 150 feet! probably not going to be cheap.

tnx,
Old 01-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #6

gas stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Gas cooking stoves do not need an outside vent.
Far better to have the gas company come hook this up for you to make sure there's going to be a big enough supply line meets codes, and does not leak.
this just occurred to me: why is it that gas fireplaces have to be vented (mine actually has this thing screwed onto the "damper" so you can't close it) when gas stoves don't have to be vented? don't they both burn the same gas? don't they both produce CO?

tnx,
Old 01-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #7

gas stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogmusicman View Post
this just occurred to me: why is it that gas fireplaces have to be vented (mine actually has this thing screwed onto the "damper" so you can't close it) when gas stoves don't have to be vented? don't they both burn the same gas? don't they both produce CO?

tnx,
Pretty yellow flames are the result of incomplete combustion and throw off a fair amount of things you really don't want to be breathing. Nice blue flames, such as those produced by your gas stove/range, are the product of much more complete combustion.

That's my theory, anyway :P
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #8

gas stove

Where I live, gas stoves must be vented. Thats building code, not gas code. You're best to check with your local authority. As for your has line, you may be able to increase the pressure (from 7" w.c. to 2 psig) and utilize the existing piping. This would require extra work, like installing regulators for the appliances, but its often much more practical than running new piping. This is an option to discuss with your gas contractor.
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #9

gas stove

Plus a fireplace can be on for a long time whereas oven/range not so long. but now with all these new 'green' hse', with very little air exchange, all kinds of prob' are popping up....Usually by trade a plumber[who does gas-obviously] is the guy to estimate what you need..don't think it'll be that big a deal-and it's a one time thing..check it out.

Advertisement

Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote