Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Gas oven possibly thermostat problem...

Hi all, thanks again for reading this thread...

We have a MayTag PGR5715BDW "Performa" 30" Free Standing Gas Range (with oven) that recently is not working well. Although we can still use it for cooking and the oven heating element still turns red, however the oven can not go above 200 degree fahrenheit. Here are my questions:

1. Does this sound like a "thermostat" issue? What are the chances if we are to replace the thermostate and it can fix this problem 100%??

2. Is this (oven sensor) the thermostat that I'm looking for?

3. What's the average lifespan for a typical Gas Range? We can't remember when we purchased this Gas Range, just know that for this model it is discontinued. Would we be better off to just get a brand new one instead of trying to repair it?? Thoughts or comments?? Thanks again!

ohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #2

Hmm.. for question #3, I just found this site which mentioned that Gas Range can last for 15-17 years...Do you agree?

Old 09-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

I'm guessing since you say the heating element turns red (sorry, a gas range does not have a heating element) you are referring to the ignitor. Do you see a flame after the ignitor turns red? I bet all your getting is the ignitor to glow and no flame. Most likely you have a bad ignitor.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
I'm guessing since you say the heating element turns red (sorry, a gas range does not have a heating element) you are referring to the ignitor. Do you see a flame after the ignitor turns red? I bet all your getting is the ignitor to glow and no flame. Most likely you have a bad ignitor.
Sorry for the confusion. This is a gas range *with* oven. The "range" part is working perfectly. It's the oven that has problems. When I said the heating elements turns red, I was referring to the oven. Hope this helps...
Old 09-28-2012, 10:18 PM   #5
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohman View Post
Sorry for the confusion. This is a gas range *with* oven. The "range" part is working perfectly. It's the oven that has problems. When I said the heating elements turns red, I was referring to the oven. Hope this helps...
I thought I knew what you were talking about but now I'm confused. Gas range has no heating elements. gas range has a gas burner. back to my first post, is the gas burner in the oven coming on?
Old 09-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #6

hardwareman, for a typical gas range, there are two parts.. the "oven" part (which is the lower portion of the range), and the "burner" part (which is the surface portion of the range).. The one that has problems is the "oven" part.. which can not go over 200 degrees now.. sorry about the confusion...
Old 09-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

I'm not sure what part of my post you don't understand?? Your "oven" is a gas oven but yet you continue to say it has a heating element. It has an ignitor and a gas burner. Again my question is IS THE GAS BURNER COMING ON?
Old 09-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Upon further reading of your posts, lets clarify here. A typical "range" has 2 parts, a cook top with 4 gas burners and an oven with a big gas burner tube. When you turn your "oven" on the igniter comes on, glows red hot and ignites the gas burner. Hopes that helps.