Gas Grills - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2008, 11:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 79

Gas Grills

New homeowner looking to buy my first gas grill. I know the usual brands of Weber and Char-Broil are popular. Anybody have a ny suggestions on brand or where to buy? Home Depot, Lowes, etc?
I'm not looking for a monster grill. Maybe something a little more then a basic model, possibly with an extra external burner for pots or pans.

Advertisement

jte1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Gas Grills

Seems like you have the basics down...the only thing I would toss in it that get one with a burner that's made from brass or cast bronze. The one I have is cast iron and the orifices need drilled out every couple of years, rust restricts the gas flow, and I'd think the other metals would be better.

I really stay away from those with the stamped metal burners...you'll putz with that each year....costing you more in the long run.

Advertisement

RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Gas Grills

This is my second year with a Char-Broil from Home Depot. We got the one with the burner on the side, and to be honest, I've never used it. Not saying that I WON'T, just saying I haven't yet. I don't clean it like I should, but it's been a nice grill. We got one of the larger ones with the rotisserie cooker on the back, which is really nice.
perpetual98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:03 AM   #4
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 504

Gas Grills

check out a brand called the holland grill. they are a little hard to find, but AWESOME
Mr Chips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Gas Grills

It seems like the shells, frames and controls last forever. it's the guts that fail. Things like the grates, racks and burners rust away. I would look for something that has components inside that won't disintegrate. Weber uses a lot of stainless steel parts. not sure about others.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:48 PM   #6
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 504

Gas Grills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
It seems like the shells, frames and controls last forever. it's the guts that fail. Things like the grates, racks and burners rust away. I would look for something that has components inside that won't disintegrate. .
another reason to check out the Holland Grill. the burner is CAST IRON, not some flimsy peice of sheet metal.
Mr Chips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #7
pdks

Rewards Points: 10

Gas Grills

Grills seem to be one of those appliances where spending a bit more is really the smart financial decision. The entry level models seem to rot away in too-few years. The well built grills hang in there and are easier to repair.

Regardless, it's important to cover the grill when not in use. UV and wet weather drastically reduce the life of an outdoor appliance like this.
pdks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:45 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Gas Grills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chips View Post
...the burner is CAST IRON...
It really doesn't make much difference, cast iron rusts and rots as well, just slower. Last night I clean my cast burners and now the gas distribution holes are too large and the grill doesn't operate correctly.

Look for brass or SS burners.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:48 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

Gas Grills

I'm a big BBQ nut, so I know a little about grills, but I haven't owned a gas grill in ages. Strictly Charcoal grills for me. Recently on a BBQ forum some one asked about the best gas grill. Several people agreed with me that the best bet was to get a Weber Kettle Platinum. This is a really nice charcoal grill with a gas assist so that even though you have charcoal, it's really fast and easy to light.

If you insist on using gas, the overwhelming response from the rest of the group was to get a Weber Genesis, followed by a Weber Spirit. Catching a trend here? Weber makes a darned good grill. I've heard good things about Holland too. In the past I've owned Kenmore and Sunbeam and have nothing good or bad to say about them. As for the side burner, I agree that they are not used. Half the time they don't light, and I just don't think they are that great, but that's me. It was recommended time and again to try to find one on Craig's List because even though the Genesis is expensive, you can get it cheap there.

dmp

Advertisement

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote