Gas Or Electric Dryer? - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Gas or electric dryer?

Need to get a new dryer, what's more cost efficient and dries clothes faster? I can to go either way, as the current one is electric, but there is a gas hook up available in my laundry room.

Also, is there a way to convert the dryer from gas to electric or vice versa? Or do I have to buy one or the other? (I realize this is probably a stupid question, but my wife is making me ask anyway )

Advertisement

g_money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,646

Gas or electric dryer?

You have to buy the dryer as gas or electric. No way to convert them.

Unless gas is real expensive in your area and electric cheaper (helps to have your location in your profile)...gas is by far cheaper. Drying time will be the same. You can only get the clothes so hot with out causing a fire or melting the polyester.

One note...gas dryers are typically more expensive to buy...usually about $75 more...but are cheaper to run.

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (06-25-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Gas or electric dryer?

Gas, Hands down. I will add to this that a front load washer decreases drying time by about 2/3 due to their high spin speed. Mine spins at 1500RPM in hi. As far as I know, no top load does this.

No you can not convert the electric. At least not for less than the price of a new gas dryer.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,314

Gas or electric dryer?

Gas is the best choice for everything: water heater, furnace, stove, dryer, etc. Everything else is make do.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
JOATMON

Gas or electric dryer?

Side note....in California you can no longer install electric resistive heat in your house....has to be gas or heat pump.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 06-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Gas or electric dryer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Side note....in California you can no longer install electric resistive heat in your house....has to be gas or heat pump.
So heat pumps cant have emergency heat then I guess huh? You know the toaster strips?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
JOATMON

Gas or electric dryer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
So heat pumps cant have emergency heat then I guess huh? You know the toaster strips?
Good question...I guess they can...I'm thinking that the wording is something to the effect of "Primary Heating"...

Old 06-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 370

Gas or electric dryer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
Gas is the best choice for everything: water heater, furnace, stove, dryer, etc. Everything else is make do.
Electric is better for ovens, as you can better control the airflow. Gas is better for the cooktop, but induction is close. Dual-fuel stove? best of both worlds.
chitownken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 274

Gas or electric dryer?

Well the You can alone get the clothes so hot with out causing a blaze or melting the polyester.
alexjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Gas or electric dryer?

Yes, it is called selling which ever one you have and purchasing the other. Some people purchase gas because it is lower in costs, than electric in their area. I am lucky to be in an area that both gas & electric are low, so you see a mix of the two types being purchased.

It is really up to you which one you purchase. The deciding factor being cost for the utility that you plan on using to run the heating portion.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote