Gas Dryer Supply Line Sizing - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2017, 11:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 111

Gas dryer supply line sizing

I bought a gas dryer, Samsung DV5200. It's 22,000 BTU/hr, and the gas connection is 3/8 MIP. The installation manual recommends using a 1/2" supply line and a reducer. My question is why not use 3/8? I have a 3/8" flare valve on the wall, so I could buy a 3/8" supply line with a 3/8 flare to 3/8 FIP adapter. Is there some benefit to a 1/2" line? I don't mind spending a few extra dollars if there's a good reason to.

Also, it says to add a 1/8" test port immediately upstream of the dryer. Is this really necessary? If I ever wanted to test pressure, I could just disconnect the dryer supply hose and test it that way, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Gas dryer supply line sizing-screen-shot-2017-01-29-21.06.42.jpg  

Advertisement

ebalsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18
Thumbs up

Re: Gas dryer supply line sizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebalsley View Post
I bought a gas dryer, Samsung DV5200. It's 22,000 BTU/hr, and the gas connection is 3/8 MIP. The installation manual recommends using a 1/2" supply line and a reducer. My question is why not use 3/8? I have a 3/8" flare valve on the wall, so I could buy a 3/8" supply line with a 3/8 flare to 3/8 FIP adapter. Is there some benefit to a 1/2" line? I don't mind spending a few extra dollars if there's a good reason to.

Also, it says to add a 1/8" test port immediately upstream of the dryer. Is this really necessary? If I ever wanted to test pressure, I could just disconnect the dryer supply hose and test it that way, right?
Thank you!

Advertisement

ColeMaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebalsley View Post

I don't see the reason to increase to 1/2 just for the connector hose and reduce back to 3/8 a couple foot later. If you were to use 20 ft of 3/8 piping I would see a problem.

The test port might be necessary to adjust the burner manifold pressure. If that is something that is actually adjustable. I have a gas drier but never bothered looking to see if the manifold pressure is adjustable. Anyhow, if it is adjustable - and if it doesn't have a port on the valve itself - you'll need a port installed in the piping so you can monitor the pressure with them burners on.
GASCo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2017, 03:55 PM   #4
Breakin' Stuff

Rewards Points: 586

Supply line sizing is based on flow and line length. Your supply line may already be 1/2", with a reducer to a 3/8" valve. Did you have a gas dryer before?

In any case, unless you replace the piping back to the main, 3/8" isn't going to make a different in the few feet from the wall to your dryer. 22,000 BTU isn't a lot of gas.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:58 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 46

3/8 piping isn't legal here. It can only be used to connect an appliance via an adapter. (ontario)

Without knowing the working pressure, you can't be sure that 3/8 is enough. (at 7"wc and less then 0.5"wc drop, 3/8 is good for less then 31ft.)

Cheers!
supers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:03 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASCo View Post
The test port might be necessary to adjust the burner manifold pressure. If that is something that is actually adjustable. ...
You don't measure upstream of a regulator to measure it's output. In this case; upsteam of the gas valve trying to measure the manifold pressure doesn't work.

The test port is for a working pressure measurement not for static pressure. (WP= pressure while every appliance is running. SP= the same as disconnecting the gas line to measure without the port.)

Cheers!
supers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:52 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by supers05 View Post
You don't measure upstream of a regulator to measure it's output. In this case; upsteam of the gas valve trying to measure the manifold pressure doesn't work.

The test port is for a working pressure measurement not for static pressure. (WP= pressure while every appliance is running. SP= the same as disconnecting the gas line to measure without the port.)

Cheers!
Makes sense!! Shame on me!!

I was comparing to the valves that have two ports, one before and one after. But you are right, the before one is not necessary...

Advertisement

GASCo is offline   Reply With Quote