Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Gas Dryer Frigidaire Loud Noise Help Please

Frigidaire Dryer crcg5700as1. Changed felt & glides,changed bearings.Felt in back of drum looks burnt. Loud scrapping noise by back of drum after drum warms up. Also sounds like noise is coming from behind dryer by motor. Facing dryer left side back of dryer gets hot. I really don't know what else to do. When I take the drum off everything seems to work fine. I cannot keep it going very long with the drum off due to not having air only. Mine I put on low heat and let it run for a while and it seemed motor and fan and heat all were fine.

That noise starts out soft but as the drum gets warmer and warmer the clatching noise gets louder and louder. Is something behind the drum where the heat shield is maybe bent. So confused cause scrapping noise behind drum left side and noise by motor also.

Last edited by Chris666; 11-11-2010 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Just wanted to add a little more info
Chris666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #2

Unhappy

I have a Frigidaire gas dryer crcg5700as1 which started with a noise and gradually got louder and louder. Replace the bearings in the back and put in new felt and glides in the front. This did nothing at all. Same sounds possibly coming from motor area like a clatching sounds that gets louder and louder. Rubbing sound from behind drum on left side facing dryer. Dryer felt in back by heat shield looked like it was burnt. Vacuumed everything. 6 in family and really need dryer to work. Dryer works fine for about 3 - 5 minutes, turns, heats up, then it starts this noise which increases and gets louder. Drum turns, air flows out at vent outside. I can turn drum by hand with a little resistance. Really need someone to help me on what else I can do PLEASE.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
HVAC / Plumbing

Make sure you don't have the drum in a bind. Other than that ..Possibly bad motor bearings
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:17 AM   #4

did you put front glides in with teflon overhang facing towards drum? noise may also be coming from a cracked blower or blower hse. after it heats it expands and causes a noise. sometimes hard to see. pull drum and run mtr to try to determine source. only couple things will cause this.
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:30 AM   #5

just saw this 2nd post.. is the drum fully seated in that rear cup? when you pull drum you should see scrape marks if it's hitting. nothing else try to adjust legs. the dryer may be out of square. it's a pretty flimsy unit and easily knocked out of square.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
did you put front glides in with teflon overhang facing towards drum? noise may also be coming from a cracked blower or blower hse. after it heats it expands and causes a noise. sometimes hard to see. pull drum and run mtr to try to determine source. only couple things will cause this.
I ran my dryer with the drum out and it runs just fine. I have ordered a belt now thinking maybe the drum heating up is expanding the belt and the belt is slipping. Do you think all this noise could be my belt slipping. How do I tell if the belt is slipping? The drum is turning I know that but it takes a couple of minutes for this noise to start.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
Make sure you don't have the drum in a bind. Other than that ..Possibly bad motor bearings
What do you mean the drum in a bind ? I can open the front door and turn the drum by hand.

Last edited by Chris666; 11-13-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:42 AM   #8

Quote:

I put the glides in with them facing the drum (back of dryer)
Old 11-13-2010, 07:43 AM   #9

Quote:
just saw this 2nd post.. is the drum fully seated in that rear cup? when you pull drum you should see scrape marks if it's hitting. nothing else try to adjust legs. the dryer may be out of square. it's a pretty flimsy unit and easily knocked out of square.
It was running fine then all of a sudden this noise started. I checked the leveling and it is level. No scraps on the back of the dryer.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:47 AM   #10

no scrapes on dryer=not hitting. if belt were slipping drum wont turn with clothes load. belt inst correctly? rib side down?? from the rear access-watch idler while dryer running-ok?? ..with top in up position run dryer and see if you can determine source while observing drum while it rotates.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:56 AM   #11

Quote:
no scrapes on dryer=not hitting. if belt were slipping drum wont turn with clothes load. belt inst correctly? rib side down?? from the rear access-watch idler while dryer running-ok?? ..with top in up position run dryer and see if you can determine source while observing drum while it rotates.
Rib side is down but what am I suppose to watch with the idler? Are you talking about the wheel the belt goes around correct? Is this the arm connected to the motor that makes the belt turn? I see the belt going around the wheel (Idler arm?) and then around the motor, both move but after the heat kicks on the sound seems to come from the motor area somewhere and gradually gets louder and louder. Could this actually be coming from the blower. It's so hard to tell because the drum is on and all I can here is noise from the motor area. It doesn't seem to be coming from the front by the blower area. I hope my bearings in the motor aren't shot? The idler arm moves a little bit, not completely stationary. Are there also some bearing in this arm that I should oil? If it was the bearings in the motor would it start out quiet and then gradually get noisy? Just had it running about ten minutes and it sounds like a rattling sound down by the motor. This rattling sound gets louder and louder. This is really agravating me. I really appreciate your help cause I will try anything. There aren't many parts in there but?????

Last edited by Chris666; 11-13-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:02 PM   #12
HVAC / Plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris666 View Post
What do you mean the drum in a bind ? I can open the front door and turn the drum by hand.

Doesn't mean it's correctly installed. When you load it with wet towels & tries to turn.. It could possibly be the motor. When bearing goes if it's not caught in time it can place alot of undue strain on the motor
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Doesn't mean it's correctly installed. When you load it with wet towels & tries to turn.. It could possibly be the motor. When bearing goes if it's not caught in time it can place alot of undue strain on the motor
So how can I tell if I did that? I have had the drum out several times already and every time the dryer keeps on making that same noise...but like I said the noise doesn't start until after the drum has warmed up and if I keep it going the sound will just keep getting louder, like a clashing sound....like something on a rod jibbling back and forth.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris666 View Post
Rib side is down but what am I suppose to watch with the idler? Are you talking about the wheel the belt goes around correct? Is this the arm connected to the motor that makes the belt turn? I see the belt going around the wheel (Idler arm?) and then around the motor, both move but after the heat kicks on the sound seems to come from the motor area somewhere and gradually gets louder and louder. Could this actually be coming from the blower. It's so hard to tell because the drum is on and all I can here is noise from the motor area. It doesn't seem to be coming from the front by the blower area. I hope my bearings in the motor aren't shot? The idler arm moves a little bit, not completely stationary. Are there also some bearing in this arm that I should oil? If it was the bearings in the motor would it start out quiet and then gradually get noisy? Just had it running about ten minutes and it sounds like a rattling sound down by the motor. This rattling sound gets louder and louder. This is really agravating me. I really appreciate your help cause I will try anything. There aren't many parts in there but?????
Thank you for all your help, it is the motor....
Old 11-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Thank you for all your time, it is the motor.....

Got the motor but I cannot get the fan off of the motor. It just won't come off? ANy ideas how to get that off. I have tried everything.....that piece of plastic 7/8" hex is attached to the fan right? The whole thing should come off but it just won't budge.

Last edited by Chris666; 11-22-2010 at 01:51 PM.