Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2008, 11:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Gas Cooktop Gap with Counter

Just installed a GE Profile Stainless Steel Gas Cooktop in a granite countertop. After installation I have a 1/8" +/- gap between the cooktop and the countertop. There are rubber "feet" on the rim of the cooktop that sit on the countertop. This creates the gap. There is no information in the install instructions regarding closing this gap (unless you have the ceramic version, which I do not). Would it be safe to use silicone sealer (caulk) like GE kitchen and bath to close this gap to keep food crumbs, and the like from getting through.

Mickey53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:14 PM   #2

I have the same question, for a GE stainless gas cooktop which has a gap above the countertop...did you receive any other replies to this question?

Thanks
- GaryG

garyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:34 AM   #3

No. GE told me to contact the installer - So, I contacted myself and will probably use a good clear silicone caulk. Most of the silicon caulk I have seen will take a temperature up to 400 degrees. I have checked along the edge of the cooktop and do not think that it has ever reached that temperature while operating.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
slp

I too have a similar problem. After putting in a granite countertop, my Jenn Air range sits higher than the granite countertop with a gap of about 3/8" between the cooktop and the countertop. The granite people told they have seen people use a black filler something like the insulation you see in doorways but I haven't been able to find such a product. Did your silicone caulk solution work?
slp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:26 AM   #5

I'm wondering why the gaps are there, as it sounds like they were meant to be there. We had a gas cooktop installed about 5 years ago with cabinet doors beneath. A year ago we remodelled the kitchen and now have 2 huge drawers beneath the cooktop for pots and pans. Now, when you close the drawers, it tends to blow out any burner, on low, from the draft created by the drawers. Having a gaps there might prevent my problem, as our top fit flush, with a seal between the cooktop and the granite.
Malibujim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:25 AM   #6
slp

We put in a lower countertop (granite) to replace our previous, higher top formica. After we had the counters installed, we replaced our Jenn Air slide in range/cooktop which ended up being taller than our other Jenn Air. Since the gap between stove and counter is almost 1/4" and noticeable, I think I'm going to have our wood floor cut near the legs of the stove and then have the legs (which are adjustable) adjusted. Can't find any other viable solution.
slp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:28 PM   #7

That solved my problem. Mine is a counter top unit and not a slide in range.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #8

I have the same problem with the gap between the granite counter and SS cooktop (and a reply from GE Support saying the gap was supposed to be there and the problem with liquid spills running underneath and onto the electric oven below could be remedied by being more careful and not spilling liquids).

I like the reasoning in the prior post about the gap design being intended for venting of drafts caused by cabinet door closing.

My plan is to remove (and save) the rubber feet that cause the gap; use black 100% silicone rubber sealer (readily avilable at Lowes) to bed the cooktop top to the granite; and to cut a hole into the adjacent cabinets to diffuse the static pressure that would cause drafts to snuff out a low flame.
Shag Kiefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #9

I just installed a GE Profile JGP945 stainless steel and noticed a gap as well caused by the rubber bumpers. I don't think the gap is there to prevent drafts from snuffing out the flame. I think it is there for structural reasons. The cooktop should rest on the counter top with the weight on the inner rectangular box. If it were not for the rubber bumpers, the cooktop would rest with the outer stainless steel sheet directly on the counter. The top stainless steel sheet is not designed to take the weight -- it may sag and also put unnecessary stress on places which were not intended to take a lot of stress.

If you want to eliminate or reduce the gap, replace the rubber bumpers with thinner bumpers. I bought a rubber sheet of just the right thickness and placed strips all around the inner box. The gap is now down to about 1/32 all around.

diykm is offline   Reply With Quote