Garbage Disposal Trouble - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2014, 10:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

garbage disposal trouble

I have a In Sink Erator in which I don't know how old it is. When I flip the switch just the motor runs that is it. I pressed the reset button but still motor is running and that is it. What could be the issue?

Advertisement

newtda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 360

garbage disposal trouble

Does it run? or just hum?

Advertisement

chitownken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

garbage disposal trouble

It just hums, but I pressed the reset button and flipped the switch it kinda worked for a second.
newtda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:40 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 196
Send a message via Yahoo to curtd

garbage disposal trouble

A humming electric motor usually indicates that the motor is getting voltage but it isn't turning. The motor chopper blades can be jammed and/or the starting capacitor is faulty. For example, if the starter capacitor fails on a force air furnace the blower motor will hum but will not turn. In my experience, this won't trip the circuit breaker
curtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:44 AM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,232

garbage disposal trouble

There is a hole in the bottom,dead center of the unit--insert an Allen wrench into that hole and turn the motor by hand--that should free up the blades--look inside the unit and see if something hard is inside--jamming the blades--remove the junk --
Old 07-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #6
24+ years of fixin'

Rewards Points: 316

garbage disposal trouble

and keep in mind what I tell my tenants. Feed it like a baby, small bites and lots of water.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 28

garbage disposal trouble

I've just discovered a similar issue with my garbage disposal - it's a Badger 5XP, built in Sep 2006. Here's what I know:
  • It's not jammed - I put a 1/4" allen wrench on the motor shaft and it spins freely
  • Turn on the disposal and the motor hums, but no rotation....after a few seconds of humming, the built-in circuit breaker on the disposal trips, which is what it's supposed to do to prevent the motor windings from overheating
  • Gotta be careful here - after letting the motor cool and resetting the breaker, I turned the disposal on again, and at the same time I tried to turn the flywheel using a wooden pole - the flywheel wouldn't budge at all (tried to tuen counter-clockwise, which is the direction the flywheel would turn normally). It was like the flywheel was frozen in place - very strange, given that when the power is off I can rotate the flywheel manually with no trouble at all.
I'm gonna guess the motor is shot - curious if anyone with a bit of electrical knowledge can explain in any detail what exactly is going on here. What exactly is meant by "the motor is shot, burned out, etc"?

Why won't the flywheel turn with the power on and me trying to help it out with pressure applied in the right direction with the wooden pole? Would think with the power on there would be at least some torque being applied to the flywheel? The flywheel was frozen solid in place with the power on and the motor humming. Again, it turned just fine manually with the power off.

FYI, my disposal has an induction motor, so there's no starter capacitor.

Thx!

Last edited by Patriot_fan; 10-11-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Patriot_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:43 PM   #8
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,232

garbage disposal trouble

That unit is at the right age for the inner lining to spring a leak--My educated guess? The motor is wet and can't turn on because of it---
Old 10-11-2014, 07:21 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 196
Send a message via Yahoo to curtd

garbage disposal trouble

I know something about motors although my following explanation needs tweaking:

Motors contain windings of wire. The wire is all winded tightly together. The insulation on this wire is i believe a varnish. When a motor over heats this varnish can melt off. In a correctly running motor the electrons travel thru these windings in a definite path, but if the windings see too much heat this varnish (insulation) can melt off and now the electrons travel in a less ideal path. Less ideal path = motor may not operate at all. Motors can see to much heat by being overloaded, being in a fire or being close to one (radiant heat)
curtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:03 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 4

garbage disposal trouble

IMO and experience we have had this happen to a disposal. We tried the wrench suggestion above but it didn't help. Ended up have to shut down the power to the unit and fish out what was in the disposal. Then ran a cleaner through it with hot water. It worked from then on, but I am not an expert. Good luck!
wyattl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:27 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 292

garbage disposal trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot_fan View Post
I've just discovered a similar issue with my garbage disposal - it's a Badger 5XP, built in Sep 2006. Here's what I know:
  • It's not jammed - I put a 1/4" allen wrench on the motor shaft and it spins freely
  • Turn on the disposal and the motor hums, but no rotation....after a few seconds of humming, the built-in circuit breaker on the disposal trips, which is what it's supposed to do to prevent the motor windings from overheating
  • Gotta be careful here - after letting the motor cool and resetting the breaker, I turned the disposal on again, and at the same time I tried to turn the flywheel using a wooden pole - the flywheel wouldn't budge at all (tried to tuen counter-clockwise, which is the direction the flywheel would turn normally). It was like the flywheel was frozen in place - very strange, given that when the power is off I can rotate the flywheel manually with no trouble at all.
I'm gonna guess the motor is shot - curious if anyone with a bit of electrical knowledge can explain in any detail what exactly is going on here. What exactly is meant by "the motor is shot, burned out, etc"?

Why won't the flywheel turn with the power on and me trying to help it out with pressure applied in the right direction with the wooden pole? Would think with the power on there would be at least some torque being applied to the flywheel? The flywheel was frozen solid in place with the power on and the motor humming. Again, it turned just fine manually with the power off.

FYI, my disposal has an induction motor, so there's no starter capacitor.

Thx!
most likely the winding in the motor has some how come loose and when you turn on the power on it will be like a magnet and go to the rotor which will stop the armature from turning , my guess
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:27 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 28

garbage disposal trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by del schisler View Post
most likely the winding in the motor has some how come loose and when you turn on the power on it will be like a magnet and go to the rotor which will stop the armature from turning , my guess
Now that makes sense! Appreciate your input.

Advertisement

Patriot_fan is offline   Reply With Quote