Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
"Old" Newbie

Rewards Points: 79

Garbage Disposal Just Not Getting it Done

I've come to really appreciate the prompt responses and willing sharing of expertise I've found here at DIY.

Here's the latest. Have a Badger 5, 1/2 h.p. under the sink garbage disposal. Seems to work fine; I run the water, turn it on, and it makes all the right sounds and moves stuff around, but it just doesn't seem to really chop things up or get rid of it. I've done enough online research to know that I'm not putting the wrong things down there and since the water runs right through I don't think it's clogged. Put in some lemon peels this morning. Cut them into about 2" chunks before sending them down the hole. Ran the water and turned it on for about a minute. They're still there.
Dull blades? What? I'm comfortable disconnecting it and having a look see but really don't know what I'd be looking for, or if it's a job I shouldn't even attempt. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Rob

RCrosby257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,000

maybe something is stuck under one of the choppers and not letting it rotate. Take a flashlight and look down into it, locate the 2 blades now take a long handled wooden spoon and see if you can move the blades around

Old 12-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
"Old" Newbie

Hardwareman,
You hit that nail right on the head!
One of the blades was stuck.
Works like a champ now!
Thanks!
Rob
Old 12-06-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
"Old" Newbie

Well, it was great while it lasted, which wasn't long. My fault, I suspect.
It was working so well, I fed it a whole bunch of lemon peels. It started grinding away, and then just quit. No sound, no "nuthin". I turned off the switch thinking it might have overheated and thrown a unit or household breaker. All household breakers are fine as is the ground fault switch on the plate that has 2 plug outlets along with the motor switch. I was hoping to find a "reset" button on the motor, but if it has one, I haven't found it yet.
It's a Badger 5, In-sink-erator, 1/2 h.p. Did I kill the motor? Or is there a reset button hiding on me? Some else?
Thanks, AGAIN!
Old 12-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #5

there is a small red reset button on the bottom of the disposal. its hard to find just feeling around. get a mirror and a flashlight and you should be able to find it.if it starts going again throw a few trays of ice cubes in it. they will not off any gunk that is stuck in the teeth along the sides. if it ever gets jambed there is a hex socket in the center that an allen wrench will fit into to get it unjammed. make sure the switch isn't on if you need to unjam it.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

has a very small reset button underneath
Old 12-07-2011, 12:16 AM   #7
"Old" Newbie

You folks are the best! Thanks AGAIN!