Garage Door Opener - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Garage Door Opener

Greetings,

Currently I have a chain drive garage door opener that is failing. Apparently some type of short; 95% of the time, when the opener is engaged, the process will stop in mid-operation. I noticed that when the operation fails, the two external lights on the unit will turn off. If I go over and tap the unit, lights come back on and then I can go over and press the button and operation will continue - may take a few more times of tapping before the operation is completed fully. Quite annoying.

Anyways, we utilize our garage with great frequency and I am wondering if a screw drive or belt drive system would be a better option? I am looking for a system that is quite and can take heavy usage. Additionally, how difficult is it to replace existing chain drive with belt/screw system? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Advertisement

q5p4k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
Rob

Rewards Points: 550

Garage Door Opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by q5p4k0 View Post
Greetings,

Currently I have a chain drive garage door opener that is failing. Apparently some type of short; 95% of the time, when the opener is engaged, the process will stop in mid-operation. I noticed that when the operation fails, the two external lights on the unit will turn off. If I go over and tap the unit, lights come back on and then I can go over and press the button and operation will continue - may take a few more times of tapping before the operation is completed fully. Quite annoying.

Anyways, we utilize our garage with great frequency and I am wondering if a screw drive or belt drive system would be a better option? I am looking for a system that is quite and can take heavy usage. Additionally, how difficult is it to replace existing chain drive with belt/screw system? Thanks in advance for any insight.
Sounds like it could be a loose connection (to be technical). Maybe it needs a new logic board.
I don't know anything about the belt or screw system.

Advertisement

Last edited by Robpo; 06-09-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #3

Garage Door Opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robpo View Post
Sounds like it could be a loose connection (to be technical).
I will check all the connections. The unit is pretty old and quite noisy. I am thinking I want to go with a belt system because there is a bedroom right above the garage.

I also would like to add features such as battery backup, rolling code, and an outside keypad.

How difficult is it to swap out a chain unit for a belt?

Thanks
Old 06-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,002

Garage Door Opener

Liftmaster just revised their whole line and has some very nice belt drives, with the battery backup. If you want, you can get a module that goes with it as an option that let's you monitor your door through your smart phone. I don't see a need for that. I install overhead doors and openers for a living. I have five overhead doors, all with liftmaster openers. Their belt drives are very quiet and dependable. I don't recommend the screw drives. They are very noisy, and people don't like them for very long.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:56 PM   #5

Garage Door Opener

Does liftmaster equate to Chamberlain? I ordered the WD962KEV which does all you spoke about. Amazon had a great deal. It was listed for 249.00 but when I put in cart and then went to checkout there was a 15% discount, so it cost me 211.00. I ordered a surge protector and the blk01, but still need to get the gateway to obtain features from the app.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2014, 06:46 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,002

Garage Door Opener

Liftmaster, Chamberlain, same company.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Garage Door Opener

I was having the same issue with an old chain driven Liftmaster in my garage. I narrowed it down to a component on the control board near the back of the unit. Since the opener was very old and VERY loud, it made much more sense to replace it. I chose to go with a belt driven Genie SilentMax, 3/4 HP from Home Depot for about $200. Installation was a breeze. I didn't even have to change out any of the wiring for safety sensors, the wire for the opener mounted near the door, or the ceiling brackets. The old door didn't have an exterior keypad and this lift came with one and it's wireless, so it comes in handy. Installation took maybe 2 hours total.

A few recommendations I would make would be to get a helper to install the belt guide rod since it's so big...one person on each end while you bolt it up is helpful. Also, while you're at it, I'd recommend lubing all joints and springs. I used the Clopay Synthetic Pro Lube from HD ($6). The old door almost shook the living room above the garage. Now we can't even hear it!

All that to say, yes, the replacement is simple and we're very happy with our belt driven opener.

Advertisement

finejob01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finejob01 For This Useful Post:
q5p4k0 (06-10-2014)