G E Washer - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2014, 08:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

G e washer

model # S3500BOWW
SERIAL # RD182729G

WASHER STARTED ACTING UP A COUPLE MONTHS AGO WHEN YOU START WASHER WATER FILLS AND THEN WHEN ITS TIME FOR THE DRUM TO TURN, IT WOULD LIKE HUM, LIGHTS IN HOUSE WOULD DIM, IT WOULD DO THAT A COUPLE TIMES AND START WORKING, IT WOULD DO THAT IN EVERY CYCLE, BUT SAT IT STARTED LIKE USUAL AND WORKED TILL THE LAST CYCLE AND IT WOULD NOT SPIN, WHAT DO I NEED TO FIX ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS
THANK YOU

Advertisement

upnorthdennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 41

G e washer

Open the front panel by inserting a putty knife (push hard) into the top groove in line with the lid opening on each end while pulling on panel. Tilt panel outward and lift from machine. Lay on floor and rotate motor pulley by hand. One direction should be very easy and will cause the agitator to go back and forth. The other direction will be a little harder as it will release the brake and rotate the entire transmission housing and the inner tub. Use two hands to keep it going as the brake will stop it immediately when you stop rotating pulley. This test is to make sure nothing is binding. If rotation in both directions seems ok then the problem may be the motor. This washer has the old style motor with centrifugal switch which can become problematic. Unplug the motor connector and check terminals for corrosion/discoloring, check wires for any burning/melting. The only real way to determine if motor is the problem is to check live line voltages at motor connector while problem is occuring. If it appears that the motor is quickly cycling on/off, then it's most likely the motor switch. This switch is generally not serviceable unless you have the experience that I do with them. They can be pulled away from the motor and serviced but they are not made with that in mind. In your case, you would have to replace the motor with the new motor kit which comes with relay, capacitor, and wiring harness pigtail that gets spliced into old harness. It comes with instructions and isn't all that difficult to install. The real problem is the cost, at $317. This is from appliancepartspros which has a one year no questions asked warranty. You may find the motor kit cheaper elsewhere but you never know what you are getting when you go that route. Motor kit part number is WH49X10035. It is possible that you have a faulty timer or even the lid switch, causing a voltage drop to motor input but again, you must test live line voltages while problem is occuring. I see the washer also has a speed switch which could also be causing voltage drop if defective. Does it matter which speed is selected?

Advertisement

Last edited by thefixer56; 03-12-2014 at 10:15 AM.
thefixer56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:06 PM   #3

G e washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefixer56 View Post
Open the front panel by inserting a putty knife (push hard) into the top groove in line with the lid opening on each end while pulling on panel. Tilt panel outward and lift from machine. Lay on floor and rotate motor pulley by hand. One direction should be very easy and will cause the agitator to go back and forth. The other direction will be a little harder as it will release the brake and rotate the entire transmission housing and the inner tub. Use two hands to keep it going as the brake will stop it immediately when you stop rotating pulley. This test is to make sure nothing is binding. If rotation in both directions seems ok then the problem may be the motor. This washer has the old style motor with centrifugal switch which can become problematic. Unplug the motor connector and check terminals for corrosion/discoloring, check wires for any burning/melting. The only real way to determine if motor is the problem is to check live line voltages at motor connector while problem is occuring. If it appears that the motor is quickly cycling on/off, then it's most likely the motor switch. This switch is generally not serviceable unless you have the experience that I do with them. They can be pulled away from the motor and serviced but they are not made with that in mind. In your case, you would have to replace the motor with the new motor kit which comes with relay, capacitor, and wiring harness pigtail that gets spliced into old harness. It comes with instructions and isn't all that difficult to install. The real problem is the cost, at $317. This is from appliancepartspros which has a one year no questions asked warranty. You may find the motor kit cheaper elsewhere but you never know what you are getting when you go that route. Motor kit part number is WH49X10035. It is possible that you have a faulty timer or even the lid switch, causing a voltage drop to motor input but again, you must test live line voltages while problem is occuring. I see the washer also has a speed switch which could also be causing voltage drop if defective. Does it matter which speed is selected?
I took frt pulled front panel off, I watched the motor spin but drum or tub not sure what u call it does turn it like clicks and tub jerks, I did take belt off, motor runs good and I still hear that humming noise and the whole drum shakes, the motor does not smell burnt, wire connections r clean, I could take motor off and have it checked, anyway the drum I can barely turn when I go underneath and try to turn , the big pulley spins good one way and not much other way
Old 03-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #4

G e washer

took frt pulled front panel off, I watched the motor spin but drum or tub not sure what u call it does turn it like clicks and tub jerks, I did take belt off, motor runs good and I still hear that humming noise and the whole drum shakes, the motor does not smell burnt, wire connections r clean, I could take motor off and have it checked, anyway the drum I can barely turn when I go underneath and try to turn , the big pulley spins good one way and not much other way
Old 03-12-2014, 09:19 PM   #5

G e washer

ok, I read your answer again, I did not watch drum spin I will do that tomorrow
Old 03-14-2014, 07:54 AM   #6

G e washer

still need help with my washer I can have motor checked out
Old 03-17-2014, 11:34 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 147

G e washer

How old is the washing machine ?

If it has major mechanical problems , compare repair costs to a new washing machine .

God bless
wyr

Last edited by WyrTwister; 03-17-2014 at 11:37 AM.
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:47 PM   #8

G e washer

well its 11 1/2 years old looks like it will take 600 dollars tp replace
I do have one picked out
thanks

Advertisement