Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
Household Handyman

Share |

Funky washing machine

O.K., so I have an eleven (11) year old Kenmore (Maytag ?) washing machine that has been very good for a lot of years, But--withing the last year there has been an unusual problem with it. This machine will just stop working, anywhere it desires within the cycle. I can hear the timer clicking, the water comes in fine, but nothing else will work. Then I discover that if I tilt the machine back enough to get my hand under it, then find the motor/tranny coupling and rotate this by hand a few turns: All will work again. I've been in industrial maintenance for 38 years and never seen an electric motor with what may be a "dead spot" but this is what this motor is acting like. So to the motor people: Could that be a "dead spot" in the motor winding that would cause this? Thanks

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
STAFF

Funky washing machine

You may have a loose belt, that was one problem I had also and that took care of it. We goofed up and bought one of the new fangled washers with the low profile agitators, that sucker will tear your clothes up, I wish we had the old washer back.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
Household Handyman

Funky washing machine

Thanks, but no belts on this model. Motor is coupled to the transmission. Coupling has a rubber insert that is replaceable, this has been inspected and is in good shape. Sometimes this happens soon, other times it may go another year. I think I'll give it a female name
Old 11-12-2011, 04:51 PM   #4

Funky washing machine

Yes it is possible for a motor to have a dead spot where manually rotating it a fraction of a turn (with the power off please) will cause it to start normally the next time. Yes, for AC motors this is usually due to a bad winding.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:33 PM   #5

Funky washing machine

Is there a starting and/or run capacitor on the motor?
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #6
STAFF

Funky washing machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Thanks, but no belts on this model. Motor is coupled to the transmission. Coupling has a rubber insert that is replaceable, this has been inspected and is in good shape. Sometimes this happens soon, other times it may go another year. I think I'll give it a female name
Sorry bout that, our washer must have been a lot older.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:58 AM   #7
Household Handyman

Funky washing machine

@ "Master": At this time I do not know it there are either a run or start cap on this motor, please understand that I have no desire to turn this machine on it's back if I can keep it running. This peculiar problem only surfaces maybe twice a year. Thanks for asking though. @ "Allan J", YES, I do pull the cord before putting my hand under there. I also place a piece of 4x4 under the machine to assure it stays up just enough to reach under it. Thanks
Old 11-14-2011, 06:19 AM   #8

Funky washing machine

If it had a 'dead spot' you'd still hear a hum. i suspect you have a bad wire maybe at the motor plug [white-common]. by tilting and jiggling, it reconnects? if this is a direct drive=no belt] that whole wrap around comes off for better diag'.

Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote