Fume Hood Exhaust - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Fume Hood Exhaust

A new fume hood was installed for a stove in an older house. The rectangular exhaust outlet was placed in the old opening but never attached to anything. From inside to outside the wall is composed of drywall, wood studs, double brick. The wood was framed in the wall to create a channel for the exhaust duct to come through but the exterior metal flap does not line up properly with the interior exhaust outlet on the fume hood. There is draft coming in from outside and a potential safety hazard (?) with exposed wood and drywall. Any thoughts on preventing draft and lining the wall cavity without having to remove the exterior cap and possibly redo the masonry on the outside of the building
I have attached a picture.
Attached Images

Advertisement

RomanDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,070

Fume Hood Exhaust

why would anyone take the time required to build a wooden frame rather than go buy the duct and make it work properly?

Advertisement

hardwareman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:16 AM   #3

Fume Hood Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman
why would anyone take the time required to build a wooden frame rather than go buy the duct and make it work properly?
I'm pretty sure the frame was built for an older model stove/fume hood. When the fume hood was replaced, the size and position of the outlet didn't match exactly.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:04 AM   #4

Fume Hood Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemartin
Window Acs are the most efficent way of air conditioning .
???? Doesn't really have anything to do with what I'm asking about
Old 01-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,184

Fume Hood Exhaust

I can't tell for sure from here, so you'll have to take a closer look, but do you have space for a proper duct with that MDF box removed from the wall?
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #6

Fume Hood Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII
I can't tell for sure from here, so you'll have to take a closer look, but do you have space for a proper duct with that MDF box removed from the wall?
The hole on the exterior,brick wall, doesn't line up with the fumehood outlet (on the interior wall.
I can't really shift the fumehood because it won't line up with the stove/cabinet in the kitchen.
If I were to put a duct in the wall to connect the two, I'd have to move the exterior cap and get into some masonry work, which I'm trying to avoid if possible
Old 01-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,184

Fume Hood Exhaust

The only two options that I can see are a) buy the sheet goods and fabricate your own custom offset duct, b) contact a local mechanical contractor or heating and cooling guy, who could fabricate it for you, or c) deal with the bricks. And, by the way, I say this respectfully, as I can relate to the issue. We have a brick ranch, so every time that I have added or replaced an exterior hose bib, electrical box, dryer vent, or whatever, I envy those who don't have to deal with it, even though I still like the looks and durability of brick.

Advertisement

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote