Front Loader Washers/dryers - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2014, 12:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

front loader washers/dryers

I'm planning a new laundry room and will be buying new HE W/D and want the new front loaders. but I don't think I want them stacked -- i'd like them under the counter for a cleaner look. any watch-outs? whats the conventional wisdom from you guys with experience?

Advertisement

yellowkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 622

Like how the washer spins the clothes almost dry. Disadvantage with them is the doors are low and machine needs to be elevated. The height may effect your proposed counter.

Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 01:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I "wanted" a front loader too...not too thrilled with it at all!

It's smart...I hate machines that think they're smarter than me...want a quick rinse and spin with hot water...NOPE...machine won't allow it; cold water only...I'll stop with that...

Mine is a Samsung...never again...the next washer will be a top loader...before you buy, research hard...read the reviews...I did and I ignored complaints...the same complaints I have now...

Oh, another huge negative that is VERY common with front loaders...if the drum is the least bit out of balance, it will never spin at full speed...it will try and try but never get up to speed...eventually giving up and leaving you with a pile of wet clothes...that you then have to pull out, put it back and try again...I hate this machine.

Seriously, don't blindly go into the top loader purchase or you may be really sorry....PS> these machines have a horrible time with mold buildup...google it...class action lawsuits are in process.
beinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 622

Quote:
Originally Posted by beinb View Post
I "wanted" a front loader too...not too thrilled with it at all!

It's smart...I hate machines that think they're smarter than me...want a quick rinse and spin with hot water...NOPE...machine won't allow it; cold water only...I'll stop with that...

Mine is a Samsung...never again...the next washer will be a top loader...before you buy, research hard...read the reviews...I did and I ignored complaints...the same complaints I have now...

Oh, another huge negative that is VERY common with front loaders...if the drum is the least bit out of balance, it will never spin at full speed...it will try and try but never get up to speed...eventually giving up and leaving you with a pile of wet clothes...that you then have to pull out, put it back and try again...I hate this machine.

Seriously, don't blindly go into the top loader purchase or you may be really sorry....PS> these machines have a horrible time with mold buildup...google it...class action lawsuits are in process.
Sorry to hear, but never had these problems, at least never informed of them. Who knows maybe we do but better half doesn't say after all she had to have... Ours are Kenmore.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:39 PM   #5

41 reviews 2 out of 5 stars!

Amazon.com search for
Samsung WF330ANW

I was Home Depot, talking with a rep in the plumbing department...had the same complaints as I did...different brand too...some may just be made better than others...that I why I say research and heed the complaints in the reviews...if you see a pattern to the complaints, reconsider the purchase.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:01 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 256

Let me add this: Do NOT expect to see ANY savings in your utility bills. Yes front loaders use less water to wash. But they have to rinse twice. and the cycles are way longer than top loaders. If you pull the trigger ask them why the dryer is 2-3x more expensive than the dryers that MATCH THE TOP LOADERS? There is no "innovative technology" built into those.
IslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:31 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,360

Yikes. I don't like hearing all of the bad stuff about the front loaders. Mine are older and I really like them. I hope that when it's time to buy a new set there is a decent one on the market.

I like having a front loader because with doing daycare and having grandkids, there are always blankets, sheets and pillows to wash. This would be more difficult with a top loader. Plus, I can put a lot of blue jeans or towels in one load.

Yellowkid, if you put them side-by-side, you can buy the drawers to go under them or build a small platform with wood. The platform would probably be cheaper, if you're watching your budget. I have the drawers under mine and I would not suggest buying them. They don't hold very much stuff. They make it seem as if you can store your laundry soap and fabric softener in them, but only very short bottles will fit.

If you have a platform built for under the W/D, you can have it made to a size that will hold 2 to 3 laundry baskets that can slide in and out.... Just a suggestion. Look on Pinterest under "laundry room storage" and you'll see some pictures of what I'm talking about.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:28 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 170

I grew up in Europe not even knowing that top-loaders existed. Then, around the early 90s, they hit the market. Maytags first, I remember.

Some people were adventurous enough to spend the money on the "new washer". They all run back to the trusted washer that we all knew and trusted from our mothers.

Now you only buy a top-loader if you don't have the room for a "real" washer (certain top-loaders are narrower and don't need the extra space for opening the door). This is a sacrifice because everybody knows that top-loaders don't wash well, they harm the garments and, guess what, they are...smelly.

People are funny beasts!
nanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:51 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 95

i've had old school top loaders, the ones that take 98.5 gallons of water, standard front loaders ( not HE ), an HE top loader ( GE profile ), and an HE front loader ( whirlpool duet ).

washing machines, of any kind/style, are similar to computers - garbage in, garbage out. if you overload or screw up what you load - e.g. 10 pair of levis or 8 king size bed sheets, youre going to have issues. all of the washers i've used had all the same issues, at times, as well as all the same positives.

the biggest thing to consider about a front loader is what it's placed on, main level floor, second level, or slab. they have a tendency to want to walk around, and the less solid the surface, the more they do. in other words, i'd be hard pressed putting one on a second level. having them in an enclosed space - built in so to speak - will exacerbate the walking problem.

i know manufactures tout the capacity, like whirlpool saying it can handle 12 bath towels or something. you put 12 full size bath towels in at one time and you'll be having fun once the spin cycle starts.

even up the loading of garments, especially when it comes to heavy/large items, and you should eliminate 97% of all the problems.
Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #10

In the case of Samsung, it's a pure design flaw. I've ran the machine empty and it hard trouble spinning up to full speed even though it was empty.

With absolutely nothing in it, it would turn one way, then the other, then the other, pick up speed, back off, add water...total pile of junk...read the reviews...and the complaints spread across various models...

I say it's past time for a class action lawsuit against Samsung and it's washers.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

I had a front loader for a while (it was in a rental before I bought my current place). My only complaint was the mold issue brought up above - the rubber seal around the door was LOADED with mold. Other than that, I'll take it over any machine I've used before or since.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

thx for the comments all. the mold issue makes sense given that they likely hold moisture more than a top-loader i guess? the other issue for me is rather than having the platform (or building one -- tho appreciate the tip) I want to try and put under the counter. but they are all just under 40" which is high for a counter. when i see examples of laundry rooms they often have two counter heights -- standard and over the W/D which would work fine. I guess there are compacts that will fit under a standard counter but I want the capacity for towels etc. Also thinking of side-venting the dryer since it will be in a corner with the RH side facing an outside wall, and this will allow me to push back vs. leaving 4-6 " of clearance behind -- these things project out far enough as it is -- typically around 30" vs a standard counter depth of 24"?
yellowkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:04 PM   #13

The dryer vent will likely come out the back of the machine; so you'll have to have 6" clearance no matter what.

The shorter the exhaust pipe, the better; keep that in mind. Also, don't use plastic vent pipe within 3' of the dryers exhaust port...it will get really hot and soft...won't last long.

As for the mold with front loaders:

1. The cause is the door; it seals the machine...no way for water to evaporate.
2. Difficult to remove mold that does grow...lots' seals and stuff...total pain...

Will never buy another front loader.

No matter what you buy, read the reviews at places like Amazon, Best Buy, Sears, ect...especially the negatives and if you notice the same complaints multiple times...take heed...for every web posted negative, there are probably a 100 or a 1000 more that never posted their dissatisfaction online.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:38 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by beinb View Post
The dryer vent will likely come out the back of the machine; so you'll have to have 6" clearance no matter what.

The shorter the exhaust pipe, the better; keep that in mind. Also, don't use plastic vent pipe within 3' of the dryers exhaust port...it will get really hot and soft...won't last long.

As for the mold with front loaders:

1. The cause is the door; it seals the machine...no way for water to evaporate.
2. Difficult to remove mold that does grow...lots' seals and stuff...total pain...

Will never buy another front loader.

No matter what you buy, read the reviews at places like Amazon, Best Buy, Sears, ect...especially the negatives and if you notice the same complaints multiple times...take heed...for every web posted negative, there are probably a 100 or a 1000 more that never posted their dissatisfaction online.
The manual for my Samsung front load washer specifically says to leave the door open when not in use.
sgip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 170

Crack the door open and slide the detergent tray slightly back for the air to circulate. If the machine is clean and drains properly (not many people clean the drain filter) mold should not be an issue.

I understand that certain places in US can be very humid but remember this is tested technology. Yes, they have problems. Vibration if out of balance is a major one. Leaking at the door collar in very old machines could be another, especially if the washer has not been used for long. Mold is not one of them.

Advertisement

nanuk is offline   Reply With Quote