Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2009, 07:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

frigidaire range

I have a gas frigidaire range about seven years old. When you start and preheat the oven you can smell gas a bit then all the sudden poof it will light and start heating. After that initial heat up the oven will cool off and you have to turn it off and restart all over again. Its like the ignighter isnt working properly or something, but does work. You just have to keep an eye on the oven and shut down and restart while cooking. Any ideas where to start looking?

angdeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:57 PM   #2

frigidaire range

Quote:
Originally Posted by angdeer View Post
I have a gas frigidaire range about seven years old. When you start and preheat the oven you can smell gas a bit then all the sudden poof it will light and start heating. After that initial heat up the oven will cool off and you have to turn it off and restart all over again. Its like the ignighter isnt working properly or something, but does work. You just have to keep an eye on the oven and shut down and restart while cooking. Any ideas where to start looking?
I would look in the yellow pages for a competant repair company before you're on the 6 o'clock news. If I were your husband, I would lock up all the tools in the house and ban you from DIY shows. Seems you're a bit of a menace.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:49 AM   #3

frigidaire range

it's amazing to me the things people will tackle,to save a few $$,? ego,-?-don't trust repair people??- rewire a house,do plumbing,fix gas or electrical appliances, w/o the faintest clue as to what is code or safe practice. it's nice to get an idea of what the problem or cost may be ahead of time but there's a lot of bad info out there and one [myself included] can get in over your head. when someone whose spent years learning a trade does a job, they are looking at things a DIY wouldn't even be aware of....in this case she probably does have a weak igniter, but if she puts it in wrong or uses the wrong one, or breaks the replacement while installing it- . this job would probably cost $100+ over the cost of the part. the oven would be checked for other problems, it would be safe, and restored to it's original condition. i think that's worth the extra money.
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote