Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
New House Newbie

Share |

Frigidaire Loud Fan Noise

I have a 3 year old Frigidaire, i believe model FFHS2611LB (it doesn't say in the manual or a similar model number inside of fridge). A few months ago, on the weekend of course, a fan from the back top of the freezer kicks on and is extremely loud. Called the repair man and tells me he can't get here until Monday but from what he hears throuhg the phone the fan is hitting built up ice or the fan is on its way out. Other symptoms when this happened was the freezer temp increased, the water line to the door froze (I think, it just would not work), and water would come out of the front door where the ice and water dispenser is.

I found a website that thought it was something in the defrosting portion, but I cannot find that website again.

I ended up turning the freezer down 1 number (warmer) and it did not do this for the last 4-5 months. low and behold today it is back again. We have been in the freezer more than usual this week and it is hot and humid here.

Does anyone have any clues as to where to start looking for this problem? I am planning on fixing this myself, but know absolutely nothing about these units.

Thanks

C_J_GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_J_GO View Post
a fan from the back top of the freezer kicks on and is extremely loud
Does anyone have any clues as to where to start looking for this problem? I am planning on fixing this myself, but know absolutely nothing about these units.

Thanks
If you can get to the fan shaft see if you can visibly wiggle it in any direction; if no, I'd say 'good fan'.

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
New House Newbie

I took the back panels off in the freezer and found ice buildup around the fan. Took the bottom panel off as well and found ice buld up around some of the coils. I am assuming the defrost is not working? Where is the thermostat and timer located or what do they look like? Can they be tested to ensure proper working?
!
Attached Thumbnails
Frigidaire Loud Fan Noise-100_1241.jpg   Frigidaire Loud Fan Noise-100_1242.jpg  

Last edited by C_J_GO; 07-04-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
New House Newbie

Does anyone know where to start with this issue? I have manually defrosted the freezer a couple of times, only to have the issue come back in a few weeks/months.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_J_GO View Post
I took the back panels off in the freezer and found ice buildup around the fan. Took the bottom panel off as well and found ice buld up around some of the coils. I am assuming the defrost is not working? Where is the thermostat and timer located or what do they look like? Can they be tested to ensure proper working?
!
This problem can be fixed without removing anything. If you take a three inch long clear tube (3/4 inch diameter) and cut it lengthwise and stretch it over the chute that brings the water to the ice tray, it will stop the ice from forming around the fan. The water overflows the chute when it begins to enter to fill the tray and runs down the back and freezes around the fan. I did mine a year and a half ago and no more ice forming and blocking the fan. The objective is to make the chute a full circle instead of a half circle that it is now that lets water spray over the side of it when the valve opens under pressure to fill the tray. E-mail me with any questions. I spent less than $1.00 on the tube and it took about 15 seconds to put it over the chute that is visible above the icemaker where it comes out the back of the refrig.
stratos278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #6

I had this same issue, defrosted the freezer for half a day, and the fan is now quieter. However, my freezer now has this awful plastic or metallic like smell that causes the whole house to stink, and causes the ice to taste bad. It's definitely a smell in the air of the freezer and not in the water. I cleaned out the freezer while it was defrosted, so I don't think it's a left over smell from food in the freezer. Any idea what could be causing this? It's been about 4 days and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

soccerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote