Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2007, 10:44 AM   #1

Share |

Frigidaire Ice/Water Dispenser

I have a Frigidaire side by side, model number FRS26BH6CB1. The lever that dispenses water snapped off, I took the front off when looking to see if I could replace it. After doing so the ice and water don't seem to work anymore. The lights on the front for ice and water are not working anymore. Before I started at least they both still worked, now its like there is no power to the controls. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Metmagic2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:34 PM   #2

Hi,

Quote:
I took the front off when looking to see if I could replace it. After doing so the ice and water don't seem to work anymore. The lights on the front for ice and water are not working anymore.
Door safety switch ( light switch ), loose/off wire, ribbon cable for front buttons off/loose, bad board, child lock are somethings that can make the dispensor dead. Probably a good idea to retrace your steps.

Quote:
The lever that dispenses water snapped off

Ice/Water actuator, black

jeff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JRAppliance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jeff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:12 AM   #3

Thanks, I'll look at those things. It just seems that its some type of switch or connection that I'm missing when putting the cover back on, it worked before I opened it, and it seemed to come off very easily. Does that ribbon cable just unplug? It seems to be on there really good!
Old 01-30-2007, 07:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Does that ribbon cable just unplug?
Yes.

Quote:
It seems to be on there really good!
Right way around?

jeff.

JRAppliance

Old 01-31-2007, 07:52 AM   #5

Unhappy

Jeff, just let me say that I appreciate your help here! Water and Ice were still working before I took the front molding off(the lights on the front were still on). I did nothing but look, I did NOT take the ribbon cable off. The molding did kind of fall before I realized that there was a cable connecting things. So I just took the molding off and looked, did not remove anything. Do you know if that ribbon cable just unplugs? I really dont want to take things apart untill I get help figuring out why there is no lights now. I may just have to bite the bullet and call a tech to take care of this whatever the cost. Thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Metmagic2k For This Useful Post:
ronlong01 (12-09-2011)
Old 01-31-2007, 10:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Do you know if that ribbon cable just unplugs?
Yes correct.

jeff.

JRAppliance

Old 02-01-2007, 08:41 AM   #7

Thanks, I will now feel confident working with that ribbon cable. I'll let you know.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:15 PM   #8

Jeff, thanks alot for all your help on this one. It was the ribbon cable that was partially unplugged from the front mounting. The water and Ice are working again and I'm now able to purchase he broken actuator. Saved me some money here on a service call. Thanks again.

John

Last edited by Metmagic2k; 02-01-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:11 PM   #9

Thankx for the update!

jeff.

JRAppliance

Old 12-11-2007, 10:48 AM   #10

Jeff1:
I am having similar troubles to "Metmagic2k". Water dispenser does not dispense water.
- Ice maker is still getting water, and making Ice.
- Water is available at the connection just below door hinge on front bottom of unit. (I disconnected this coupling and while pushing on the lever for water, I had great pressure/flow).
- When pressing the water dispenser lever, a humming noise can be heard, but no water comes out. I believe this noise is the solenoid valve at back rear of unit. And I believe based on the next line up, that that valve is working as intended.
- I inserted a pipe cleaner into the dispenser outlet, and it goes in about 8-10 inches before stopping.

Any ideas? Is there another valve (in the door), down stream of the solenoid valve may have failed? do you have a diagram that clearly shows the water dispenser "guts" inside the door? I removed the molding around the door dispenser (being careful of the ribbon connector), and cannot see how to get behind the water dispenser actuator.

Thanks for any help you can offer!!!!!
p8riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:06 PM   #11

I just successfully removed the faceplate on my Frigidaire side-by-side refrigerator and wanted to share how I did it in hopes that it may help someone else. My model number is FRS64EW0, but it sounds like most of the dispenser faceplates are the same.

Step 1: Remove the tray at the bottom. This can be tough because it feels like it's going to break as it's being removed. However, once removed, the imprinted message says that the piece is dishwasher safe. I assume that this means it should be removed periodically for cleaning. I removed this by wedging a wide, sharp screwdriver between the tray and the refrigerator door. I worked first, prying on the side away from the door handle and then the side the door handle is on. It does take a little more pressure than I was comfortable applying to remove this piece.

Step 2: Remove the three screws that are exposed by the removal of the catch tray. These are at the bottom of the faceplate.

Step 3: Slide the faceplate up to remove it. There are no more screws. I had to wedge a putty knife in the upper area between the faceplate and the door to assist me in sliding this up, but it should slide up on its own.

That's it, now the innards of the dispenser are exposed and any furthar disassembly is obvious.

I hope this helps.
Mr Hegemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:56 PM   #12

You can take the water line off the valve in back of the frig and push on the dispenser to se if the valve is working. Could be a simple as the resevour in the frig being frozen.
sv9779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #13

hi, can anyone help. i snapped the water lever off my frigidaire, model no. FRS 25 V4AW3. Can anyone please tell me where i can get a replacement and how to replace it?
thanks for any help
paul
archer.81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:41 PM   #14

hi,

I followed this post to fix my broken water actuator and the ribbon cable did come off when I did it. Now when I reattach the ribbon cable, the ice dispenser activates even though the actuator switch is not pushed.

any help is appriecated before I start swapping the $80-$100 for each board.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:41 AM   #15

Guys, I don't know if this is the same issue or not but my Frigidaire FRS20ZRG frequently gets ice build up in the chute when my son flips the switch back and forth while fillling a cup.
The water hose freezes and won't dispense until I empty the ice jam in the chute. It just hums. Once I empty the chute, after afew minutes the water line thaws and we're back in business.Thre seem to a numbers of posts here about various Frigidaires with similar trouble.
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote