Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Frigidaire Front Loader leaking

We have a 4 year old Frigidaire Front Loader Washing Machine (ATF7000FS1) that has developed a leak on the bottom of the machine. It continues to leak even when the machine is not running. It forms a puddle on the right side when you are looking at the machine. It is a substantial enough leak that the carpet outside of the laundry closet is wet in a patch maybe 2.5 feet x 1.5 feet despite our mopping up the wetness when we remember/notice. This has been going on for about 5 days.

The hoses/connections look ok, from what we can tell. One hose has a very slow/small drip where it connects to the machine, but no way that drip is causing the puddle to form. In the span of 20 minutes, a new puddle will start to seep out from under the machine, even though we just wiped up the area. My husband says the entire bottom panel of the machine feels wet. The problem is, access to the machine is tricky. We stacked our dryer on top in our laundry closet. It's not that simple to just take everything down to hunt for the problem.

Any idea what the problem could be? Or should we just call a professional? We are complete novices. We did stack the dryer ourselves and reconfigure the laundry closet ourselves, but that didn't require a ton of plumbing or appliance know how.

FYI, Tuesday, our home was treated for bedbugs, which means the entire house was heated to 150 deg and held there for 2 hours. We have no idea if that is related to the leak, but the leak started around then. In none of the preparation literature for the treatment did they mention prep for appliances like a washer or dryer.

BTW, hi, I'm new here.

Last edited by jniter; 01-15-2012 at 10:56 PM. Reason: add detail about leak/puddle
jniter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,000

Frigidaire Front Loader leaking

I would suggest calling a repairman, unit will need to be unstacked to work on the washer. He will have to remove the rear panel, maybe the front panel. Not easy units to work on, everything is cramped and hard to get to.
I would say that the temp had nothing to do with your leak, just coincidence.
I've seen lots of tub to pump hose leaks on these machines. A piece of wire or a nail or pin gets down into the hose and punctures it making a leak, just my first thought .