Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #1

Share |

Frigidaire Freezer FFU20FC4AW2

My freezer stopped cooling some time ago and I wanted to try and recharge the freon but do not know which line is the high pressure and which line is the low pressure because the compressor has 4 lines coming from it. I am not sure but I believe 2 of the lines are for keeping the freezer defrosted since it is self defrost but I do not know which line is the high pressure and which line is the low pressure. There is also a short 6 inch line coming out of the compressor as well that is capped off and I believe this is the refill line but like I said I am not sure about the low and high pressure lines and would really appreciate some help with this.

gottuhaveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

how are you going to recharge the unit? do you have the correct refrigerant? do you have a charging manifold? do you have an access valve? do you know how much to recharge with? do you even know if it needs to be recharged? will be glad to help if you can answer these questions.
hardwareman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hardwareman For This Useful Post:
gottuhaveit (02-08-2011)
Old 02-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
how are you going to recharge the unit? do you have the correct refrigerant? do you have a charging manifold? do you have an access valve? do you know how much to recharge with? do you even know if it needs to be recharged? will be glad to help if you can answer these questions.
Have everything necessary to recharge the unit. Have all necessary freon, piercing valves, guages etc.... I am not 100 percent sure that the freon is low but the compressor runs and it is not cooling at all so I was thinking it could only be either the compressor or the freon level. Is there something else that could be causing it not to cool other than what I have mentioned? Oh and my brother is a mechanic and he has a refrigerant machine that can be connected once we install the piercing valves and he knows how to operate it and that was my reason for asking about the freon lines. If you know of something else that may cause this issue that is an easier step to take then I am all ears and thank yo very much for your rapid response. I don't remember if I mentioned it but the freezer is 9 years old also.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

ok here you go, the line you want to tap into is the one on the left side all by itself, that is the process tube. that is the only tube you really need to identify, but the tubing on the right side, the top 1 is the suction tube, the lower 1 is the discharge tube and the 2 at the bottom are the oil coolers
gottuhaveit (02-08-2011)
Old 02-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #5

Quote:
ok here you go, the line you want to tap into is the one on the left side all by itself, that is the process tube. that is the only tube you really need to identify, but the tubing on the right side, the top 1 is the suction tube, the lower 1 is the discharge tube and the 2 at the bottom are the oil coolers

Ok so I don't quite understand what you are saying. When the gauges are connected you will need a high pressure side and a low pressure side and how could I accomplish that just by tapping into one line. I understand what discharge and suction are but won't I need to be tied into the low pressure line and the high pressure line in order to get the correct readings (and how do they relate to the discharge and suction lines), to fill the compressor properly or is it done differently with a refrigerator compressor. I also wanted to know if you think what I said is correct about the compressor being bad or the freon being low. Thanks once again for your help with this matter and all I can do is hope and pray that it is just the freon.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

if you are just going to recharge the system all you need to do is tap the low side, which is accomplished by putting your valve on the process tube that is what it is for. If you still want to tap the high side put it on the discharge tube on he right side of compressor. to answer your other question, yeah I'd guess you are low on refrigerant, put the tap on and you'll know for sure.
gottuhaveit (02-08-2011)
Old 02-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #7

Thumbs up

I just want you to know how much I appreciate your help. I googled th internet for days looking for a schematic to tell me which lines I needed to tap into and had no luck whatsoever, and then you have these fly by night guys that want to charge you 20 to 30 dollars or more just to give you an answer that you do not know whether or not it is actually going to help you in your particular situation. I am ever so grateful for you sharing your wealth of knowledge with me and at the price you charged me how could I possibly complain. LOL Thanks once more for your help and have a great day tomorrow. I do have just one last question for you. I was just curious as to approximately how much freon a unit like this will hold and being that you are only connecting to the fill tube how do you know when you have enough in the system. My brother most likely knows about these things but I was curious myself and am always craving knowledge that benefits me at any given time. Take care and God's speed be with you and your family.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

thanks to you for your gracious response. Normally a system like yours will hold only about 3 oz. the only problem I have with this is that if you have a refrigerant leak and your system is low enough to go into a vacuum when it was running then air will have gotten into your system. Without pulling a proper vacuum AND repairing the leak you are just putting off the inevitable, either replacing the freezer or having a serviceman repair it right. This fix may buy you some time until you can decide. Good luck
gottuhaveit (02-08-2011)
Old 02-07-2011, 03:15 AM   #9

Talking

Quote:
thanks to you for your gracious response. Normally a system like yours will hold only about 3 oz. the only problem I have with this is that if you have a refrigerant leak and your system is low enough to go into a vacuum when it was running then air will have gotten into your system. Without pulling a proper vacuum AND repairing the leak you are just putting off the inevitable, either replacing the freezer or having a serviceman repair it right. This fix may buy you some time until you can decide. Good luck
As I said my brother is a mechanic and he has a special machine that can vacuum the system down prior to recharging, but first we will charge it to get just enough freon in the system so that he can use his snifer to detect the leak first, and of course once we find the leak he will vacuum out all the freon and we will silver solder the leak and then I pray that all will be well and we will get her up and running. I just thought you might have wanted to know the steps I had planned on taking. I am just one of those people who try to do something at 100 percent if at all possible and that is my main reason for coming on here and trying to resolve a few of the steps along the way. Let me know how you think the procedure we are going to follow sounds to you. If there is something I am leaving out please feel free to tell me because like I said I am always willing to obtain more knowledge concerning anything that might benefit me in the future unlike some people who already know it all. LOL Have a wonderful day tomorrow and once more my at is off to your for your kindness and even more so your prompt responses.

Update: I also thought about having a serviceman repair the freezer as well but was more concerned about the compressor being bad and if that is the case then I had just planned on trashing it and buying a new one, and I think by recharging the system and repairing any leaks it has I will at least then know if it does not work that the compressor has sold the farm so to speak. I am on a shoestring budget as with many people the way the economy is today so I am just going through the motions of the least expensive route hoping it might payoff.

Last edited by gottuhaveit; 02-07-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #10

Hardwareman, I just wanted to let you know that my brother and I did manage to find the leak in the freon lines. It has 2 high pressure lines that form a coil at the end and that I believe are used to evaporate the condensation from the freezer since it is a self defrost freezer and it has no drain pan. The freon lines go into a plastic container where as I said the condensation drains to. We repaired everything and filled the system with freon but now have just one minor issue. My brother told me to ask you what the low pressure side should read when the unit is full. The freezer does seem to be cooling but there is one minor issue and that is the low pressure line is frosting over and I wanted to know if this is caused by the system not having enough freon or having to much freon. Wow it took a tremendous amount of heat to remove the freon tubing and then to replace them as well. I certainly would appreciate it if you could help me out with these last minor details. I am truly happy that the freezer is working again as this will save me over 500 dollars for a new one. I will be waiting on your prompt response to this post and once again thanks for everything.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #11

Is that frost on the lines in the pictures? Frost is an indication of low gas or blockage in the line.

How did you find the leak?

I used to work on appliances and worked on several fridges that were not cooling. Not a lot, but several. I never had to recharge one. It was usually a problem with the defrost system, timer, df stat, evaporator fans, etc.. In my case, it was always one of these things.

Of course, leaks happen, but not as much as people think on a closed system.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #12

I was thinking 90% of no cooling problems were not freon related.

I just read where that should be 95%.

P.s. Good luck with the new valve if it is a clamp on piercing valve. I want to say they are called shrader valves, not sure as it has been a long time.

I never wanted to open a sealed syastem like that.

Last edited by boman47k; 02-07-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #13

No that is not frost on in the picture that is white paint on the lines. The unit is not even turned on in the pictures I have displayed and the valve is correctly called a piercing valve because it is used to obtain entry into a sealed system without the hassle of installing shredder valves. The way we found the leak was we attempted to vacuum the unit down and it did not vacuum down good. We then added a very small amount of freon and my brother owns a sniffer that sounds an alarm when it detects a freon leak. We did not even get a chance to use the sniffer because when he started to slowly charge the system the freon came blowing out of a hole that was blown in one of the high pressure lines. There are 2 high pressure lines the form a coil and are inside of a plastic container and this is where the condensation from the freezer goes and the heat from the high pressure lines evaporates the water. The coil that was inside the plastic container corroded over the years making a weak spot in the high pressure line which resulted in the system blowing a hole through the weak portion of the freon line. I also found out that the freezer holds 7.5 ounces of freon but what I really needed to know was the reading you should get on the lowside when you are connected to the suction line. The freezer is running now and starting to cool but the low pressure line has frosted over badly, and that is why I was wanting to know what the reading is suppose to be on the low pressure or suction side of the compressor.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #14

How did you fix the leak? Solder in a new line? Pull a vacuum to remove ant contaminants that may have gotten in the system?

Not sure about that one, but some will show 2-5 lbs on the low side when properly charged.

Like I said, I never got into that part of repair.

Have the serial number? I'd like to research the plastic enclosure that houses the high pressure lines. New one on me, but I didn't realize how long it has been since I fooled with these things. Circuit boards is another area that I never came across. Timers, fans, defrost heaters, and such, I knew a little about.

Why the paint on a 9 year old appliance?

P.S. replace the freon with the same kind of freon?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #15
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

ok, frosting suction lines means you have OVER charged the system. You need to let some of it out, of course this is where I warn you that you are supposed to reclaim it not just let it go into the atmosphere. let it out very slowly and small amounts at a time. as far as pressure goes it is not an exact thing, it can range from _2 to +5, it all depends on the temp of the coil . the best way is to just let the gas out until you have no frost.
gottuhaveit (02-08-2011)