Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #1

Share |

frigidaire fef369cgsd oven not working

Hey all,

The other day I was using the bake feature and saw this little button that said "speed bake". Being the curious person I am, I flipped the switch. When I did, I saw a bright spark and heard a pop on the upper left side of the stove. It also tripped the breaker at the fusebox. After checking everything, I flipped the breaker back on and the stove went back to normal.

Ive used the stovetop several times and everything appears to work properly. However, today, I chose to bake and it didn't work. The broiler doesn't work either. I did test the elements with an ohmmeter and they check out as fine. I removed the back of the stove and noticed that there was one piece of plastic that said "220v" that is burned. It looks like this box is hardwired in (the wires coming to it appear to be soldered on). I did test this box (its coming off the element knobs on the left side of the stove and terminates to the white box stamped 22504 220v) and it shows continuity.

Do I need to get a new stove?

Last edited by 97runner; 04-20-2014 at 03:00 PM.
97runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Something went bad inside the stove. Do not know why you pulled the DMM out and risked endangering yourself or the house.

Depending on the model and how old. Would depend on if parts are available. If the short burnt up any wiring, yes you would most likely need a new stove.

Call a local Appliance repair place to check it out, to see if it is even worth repairing.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Something went bad inside the stove. Do not know why you pulled the DMM out and risked endangering yourself or the house.

Depending on the model and how old. Would depend on if parts are available. If the short burnt up any wiring, yes you would most likely need a new stove.

Call a local Appliance repair place to check it out, to see if it is even worth repairing.
The model has been discontinued (I have no idea how old it is, it came with the house). It sounds like I just need to spend more money in my new found money pit (oh the stories I could tell...) and buy a new stove.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:34 PM   #4

http://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHe...on--FEF369CGSD
Old 04-20-2014, 04:41 PM   #5

Thanks, Joe. I saw that site. I tested both elements and they have continuity. I am also getting continuity at all the points where I should be. The odd place is the burnt out box on the upper right side (back of stove). I've traced the wires to what would be the "bake" button. I have continuity at the origin (where the button is), but where it terminates (the white "box") I do not. Im guessing that this burnt out whatever that white box is. It looks like a fuse box, but the glass element inside appears to be ok. If I could find a replacement part, Im sure it would be inexpensive. But finding that part is shaping up to look like it won't happen.

Im going to stop by my local small appliance repair shop tomorrow and see what they suggest.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:03 AM   #6

That's a convection oven. "Speed Bake" turns on the fan.

The little white box is an indicator light. It likely tells you speedbake is turned on. The part# 22504 = 316022504. This part has been replaced by part number 3016022503
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDeta...mber=316022504
RC has it in stock, $26.60. If that part blew, and your breaker tripped, I would certainly check for a shorted connection somewhere in the range. The oven control board may also be damaged as a result.

Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote