Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #1

Share |

Frigidaire Affinity front loading washer 2006 model-won't spin final spin?

We have a 2006 Frigidaire Affinity front loading washer and dryer. The washer recently quit doing the remaining final spin. So it leaves the clothes soaking wet.

We called our home warranty company and they sent out a repair man. The repair man almost immediately diagnosed it as a malfunctioning door lock assembly without any kind of multimeter test or anything...other than stating that it happens a lot on these machines. Well the home warranty company apparently doesn't think it worth trying to repair so they are replacing the washer entirely, however I believe the washer can be fixed.

So I took the door lock assembly out and took it over to a appliance parts company and they tested the door lock assembly based upon the tech manual underneath the top panel. I was getting an "E48" which says to measure the resistance of the PTC. If its shorted or open then its a defective door lock assembly. If it reads around 1500 Ohms, then its a defective control board.

Well the test on the door lock assembly (from my test) was at about 1300 Ohms. So I thought it meant that the door lock assembly is good and thus needing to replace the control panel. I replaced the control panel and ran a spin only cycle which is 12 minutes long, when it reaches 6 minutes the washer quits and shuts down and won't do the final spin. I've done this several times with the same results. This was exactly what was happening originally and still continues to act the same with the new control board.

I've ran all of the diagnostic tests in the manual and the washer spins very fast during the diagnostic test and even locks/unlocks the door. I can also wash a load of clothes, the washer will work absolutely flawless thru all of the wash cycles however it stop at 6 minutes during the final spin and leaves them soaking wet.

Can anyone perhaps try and help me figure out what is the matter? I'm tempted to buy a new door lock assembly but I feel like I already wasted $185 on the control panel and wouldn't want to waste another $75 on the door lock unless I'm fairly sure it will fix it.

Last edited by imola ghost; 11-09-2012 at 11:38 PM.
imola ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

change the door lock assy. I suspect the parts house did not fully understand how to check that switch as it is a two part device, 1 set of contacts for spin and a secondary set for high spin.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
change the door lock assy. I suspect the parts house did not fully understand how to check that switch as it is a two part device, 1 set of contacts for spin and a secondary set for high spin.

Yeah, I'm thinking about just buying the door lock assembly.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #4

If the home warranty is replacing the washer, why are you spending this money? Curiosity?
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boman47k For This Useful Post:
joecaption (11-17-2012)
Old 11-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #5

I agree 100%. Just take the new one and let them deal with the old one.
If it had of been a cost effective fix they would have gone that way instead of a new one.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #6

The home warranty company is not/does not take the washer away...so I'm left with a virtually good washer.

UPDATE:::

We bought new top loading Samsung washer/dryer unit. So I decided to replaced the door lock assembly and the old washer works flawlessly now! I don't get it either why they didn't want to just replace the door lock assembly, especially for something that was easy to replace and was cheap $75.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #7

I am confused. Did the home warranty pay for the new set?
I was also confused as to why they thought replacing a door switch was not cost effective on the washer. Little confidence in the diagnosis? Maybe an employee was thinking they would get the old unit?

Either way, glad it worked out for you.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post
I am confused. Did the home warranty pay for the new set?
I was also confused as to why they thought replacing a door switch was not cost effective on the washer. Little confidence in the diagnosis? Maybe an employee was thinking they would get the old unit?

Either way, glad it worked out for you.

The home warranty company only paid for a new washer. We had the option of replacing it with several new washers from GE that they found for us and having it delivered or taking a cash payout of a certain amount.

We chose the cash payout and could have just bought/found a new washer with the money however we chose to take the opportunity to replace both washer and dryer since there was some rebates from out local electric company and a rebate from the store and they also had them marked down from $999 each to $650, plus they beat a local advertisement for the same washer and additional amount...we made out pretty well. So we figured we could sell both the washer and dryer with pedestals for $700 and take the cash payout the home warranty paid us and buy new, which we did.

The home warranty company or the appliance repair company does not pick up or have anything to do with the old washer. So considering what we did with replacing the washer/dryer, we basically have a decent extra washer/dryer in our garage. I decided that we could sell it easier if we put a "little money" into it. Once I replaced the door lock assembly the washer worked/works perfectly with no problems.

I am also very confused why they decided to replace instead of repair it since the door lock assembly was about $75. I doesn't make much sense to me either. I even called them and said that there are plenty of those replacement parts locally in town available to fix it. Still confused.

However, we have a new washer/dryer and now I just need to sell some pretty decent looking/working appliances now!

Hope this helps!

Last edited by imola ghost; 11-18-2012 at 11:19 AM.